Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEAD 325E

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russbarnes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 1:20 pm    Post subject: DEAD 325E Reply with quote

Symptoms:

Idle problems started. Then the '86 325e, with 160K miles, simply would no longer start.

According to the Bentley manual, I checked the starter. Both the solenoid and motor work.

I checked the voltages to terminal 50--to start the solenoid and thus the starter--I get nearly 12V at the turn of the key.

I swapped out the Motronics computer. Still the starter will not crank the engine.

Basically, the car will no longer start. I can hear the solenoid engage, but the starter will not crank the engine.

I've checked the wiring. I've checked the clutch switch. I've even checked the reference sensors on the bell housing. I believe I read the proper resistance (don't have a digital multimeter) from them, and suspect that they work properly.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd rather exhaust all the possibilities before taking this to a mechanic who'll charge me $100/hour for labor.

Thanks,

Russ
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 2:42 pm    Post subject: DEAD 325E Reply with quote

Normally a clicking seleniod is a sign of low voltage. Have you done a continuity check on the cable from the battery to the starter? If the selenoid is clicking closed from the voltage from the relay, but no/low voltage on the feed cable, the starter will not turn. If the feed cable is good, may also be the contacts in the selenoid, correct feed voltage, correct voltage to actuate the selenoid, but no way for feed voltage to get through the seleniod to the starter motor? Old battery cables are prone to internal corrosion. Ends may look good, but corrosion won't allow the voltage/current needed to crank the engine.
I would also check to ensure the engine has a good ground cable. Have to complete the circuit for electricity to do it's job. good luck. Ken Juul 87 325ic
russbarnes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2000 2:54 pm    Post subject: DEAD 325E Reply with quote

Thanks, Ken. I will check this out immediately... Russ
BigJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2000 12:23 am    Post subject: DEAD 325E Reply with quote

Have you tried bump starting the car down a hill or pushing it?
I guess you mean that the starter and solenoid are getting 12v but the starter wont turn?
If so, it could simply be that the starter brushes and contacts inside the starter are worn! You could get a new starter or a reconditioned unit and its a easy job to replace, just bolt out the old one and bolt in the new one.

There is nothing worse than when your E30 wont start, never mind run properly!

propus
87 316
russbarnes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 7:54 pm    Post subject: DEAD 325E Reply with quote

Folks,

Thanks to Noel Imossi's help, I was able to locate the problem. It was the speed sensor all the time. Even though it read the right continuity, the sensor was somehow busted internally.

By switching the two sensors, with one working, you'll be able to make sure your sensors are working.

Yeah, I have a car again!

Russ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: