Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

325ix engine problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bruce

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 9:29 pm    Post subject: 325ix engine problem Reply with quote

I am getting an intermittent problem on my 88 325ix where the car seems to revert to running on about 2 cyclinders. Initially we found a harness connector (to the fuel injectors) below the manifold that had corroded contacts from a leaking coolant hose. Those I cleaned, reconnected and everything worked fine for about 2 days. I disconnected it again, sprayed contact cleaner, scraped, and reconnected -- lasted about 2 days. Since then the time frame is decresing.

Just before it happens, the temperature guage fluctuates wildly and then "ocillates" in direct response to the engine speed. Bam -the engine acts like it's a 2 cycle. I know now that I can disconnect and reconnect that harness, start the car and go.

Unfortuntely, it only lasts a short time before it does it again. For obvious reasons I only drive around the neighborhood at this point trying to find the obvious.

Other facts -- 1) the temperature guage has been acting strange for a while (fluctuating), 2) I can pull the "check system" fuse and immediately create the problem, 3) I can disconnect/reconnect the harness and it seems to "reset" things, 4)a couple months ago I was having battery problems and had to jump the car using a battery charger. A couple times during the ignition cycle, something (relay?) was chattering and causing all dash lights to do likewise -- may be totally unrelated.

So, I'm having trouble believing that the root of the problem is a bad harness connector. I think it certainly contributed, but it appears clean and tight. Is this a symptom of some faulty sensor and/or the ECU? I'm inclined to find a used ECU and go from there. Help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: