Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

whats the difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dinan10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 2:08 pm    Post subject: whats the difference? Reply with quote

according to my VIN#, i have a 325. I wanna know what is the difference between the 325, and the 325i ,e, is, and the es. What do the letters stand for as well.....
also, maybe some specs about the engine. i wanna hook my '87 325 up. thanks.
rduckwor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 6:43 pm    Post subject: whats the difference? Reply with quote

The "E" versus "I" designate two different motors based loosely on the same design. The "E" motor (M20B27)was designated as an "eta" motor or high effecinecy in terms of gas mileage. Lower BHP output but a little more torque and much better mileage - about 35 MPG. Lower redline. This all as a result of a lower friction design which allowed the motor to run more efficiently.

The "I" designator is the standard in line six BMW motor (Baby Six - M20B25) for the cars from the eighties thru roughly the 1991 model year. Cars after about 1991 began to get twin cam sixes which later came with the variable cam timing system known as "VANOS".

The "S" designator indicates that the car has a sport tuned suspension with different springs, shocks, and sway bars. Highly desireable in the three series.

HTH

Bob Duckworth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: