Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question on engine IDLING

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyzerg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 1:19 am    Post subject: question on engine IDLING Reply with quote

i have a problem with my E30 2.7 liter 's idle when cold, i start the car, my rpm will jump to 2300, then immediatly back to 1000, couple minute late, it will back to 700, i have no idea why it will jump to 2300 (u can really hear the engine roaming), first i thought it might be vacuum leak, i check it, it seemed no leak, i check my fuel pressure rate, when off engine, the rate is
about 39 psi, but with engine running, the rate will drop to 28, seems to be little low.

when i start my engine in warm, the idle will first go around 1000, then immediately back to 700,

any suggestion?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
nigelbobbin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 10:55 pm    Post subject: question on engine IDLING Reply with quote

Try the air stabalisation valve

this certainly gives the same result on my 316i

this is located on the inlet manifold.

bugman
heyzerg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 12:29 am    Post subject: question on engine IDLING Reply with quote

u mean the idle control valve? right?
wrbowen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 7:24 am    Post subject: question on engine IDLING Reply with quote

Idle control valve , my car did the same and that fixed it.
Jack4380

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 10:29 am    Post subject: question on engine IDLING Reply with quote

The above answers are 100% correct, but there is also an idle control computer (ECU) that controls idle as well. It should be under the dashboard, behind the glove box. Mine went sour and had to be replaced because my idle was doing the exact same thing as yours, and we have the same model.

To check the operation of the valve, unplug it with the engine running and see if the revs go way up to 2500-3000+. Then plug it back in while running and the engine revs should drop back down. If you don't hear the valve in operation after plugging it back in (should be a whooshing sound upon reconnecting) then the valve may be done.

Jack

87 325e
nigelbobbin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2000 10:48 pm    Post subject: question on engine IDLING Reply with quote

I have this problem however i have just found the cause.

last night i lifted the bonnet on my 316i and when looking at the ingnition leads i had a realy good show of blue sparks.

The insulation on my ignition leads has deterioated to the point it no longer insulates.

the only bummer is that i have to replace them. Another item on my shopping list!! i will get my body kit someday!!!

Bugman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: