Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

possible to remove door lock w/lock in masterlock position?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 8:52 pm    Post subject: possible to remove door lock w/lock in masterlock position? Reply with quote

I twisted off my key in the driver's side door lock. While I was able to get the twisted-off portion of the key out of the lock, the lock will not open with the spare key. It seems like the cylinder is frozen. WD-40 did not help.
The door lock is now in master-lock position and the door is closed.

Is it possible to remove the side pannels and to remove the lock cylinder with the door locked? Or should I get a locksmith to open the door first and then replace the cyclinder? Is it an easy job for a locksmith to open a door that is master locked?

Yes, I read Dale Beunings descriptions on this site.

Thanks,
Nick

'87 325

heyzerg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2000 6:21 pm    Post subject: possible to remove door lock w/lock in masterlock position? Reply with quote

yes, u can remove the master cylinder lock

u have to remove the door trim panel, and there is clip which hold the cylinder lock, u have to remove that.

BigJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 2:50 am    Post subject: possible to remove door lock w/lock in masterlock position? Reply with quote

Is it the original spare key or did u have one cut not long ago? Have you ever tested the spare kay b4?
I had a couple of spares cut, turned out that one worked fine and the other had to be jiggled about a bit to get the door to open.
Its a simple enough job to take out the lock but remember to take out the clips that hold the rods for the central locking and door pin in place. It can be fiddly but would be cheaper than getting the locksmith in.

BigJ
87 316
nhunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 5:59 pm    Post subject: possible to remove door lock w/lock in masterlock position? Reply with quote

Thanks heyzerg and BigJ !

It was possible to remove the cylinder with the door closed. It was just a little harder to remove the door panel and fiddly to get to the cylinder. I broke quite a few clips of the door panel.
After disassembling and cleaning the lock cylinder it turns out the the spare key indeed does not perfectly fit to that lock.

Nick
'87 325
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: