Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

brake lining light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 5:58 pm    Post subject: brake lining light Reply with quote

Hi,

how can I check if the circuit and the light itself of the brake lining light is working?
Is the light supposed to come on with the ignition key turned on, but the car not yet started, like all other lights (brakefluid, oil, ABS, etc)? Mine never comes on.

The brake pads were replaced not too long ago and I am wondering if the job was done properly in respect to the warning light.

Thanks,
Nick

'87 325
BigJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 5:11 am    Post subject: brake lining light Reply with quote

I'm told that if you have had the warngin light come on, then when replacing the brakes you should also replace the sensor as this will be worn through.
I had new brakes fitted but didn't replace the sensor, this was fine because I could live with the red light, for while!
I got tired of the warning light at took the bulb out the back of the display. I know this isn't very good practice, but the old 316 is at deaths door anyways :(
I'd check to see if the bulb is there and if so check that its not blown. Oh and yes the light should come on with the ignition one and the car not started yet.

BigJ
87 316
Liver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 6:22 am    Post subject: brake lining light Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I just did my front pads last weekend and didn't splurge for the sensor. By leaving the sensor circiut open, the annoying warning light stayed on. So, I took a 3 inch length of wire and closed the circuit at the connector (clipped to the RF strut).

If you want to test to see that your warning light is functioning, try disconnecting the pad sensor. The light should come on when the key is turned on and remain on until the circuit is closed again.
Liver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 6:31 am    Post subject: brake lining light Reply with quote

Oops, I meant left-front strut (driver's side)
nhunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:32 pm    Post subject: brake lining light Reply with quote

Thanks BigJ and Liver !
It looks like the shop disconnected the bulb, because the sensors were not replaced.
Now I have to see, if I can get them to do it right, or just live with it, or if I am going to fix it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: