Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

air conditioning compressor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reinell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2000 9:45 am    Post subject: air conditioning compressor Reply with quote

I had my air conditioning go south on me a couple year ago and had it check out. I was told it had a short in the clutch. I was told to replace the compressor. I am going to have the clutch check out electrically but I was wondering if there is anything else
that could cause this problem?

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2000 6:45 am    Post subject: air conditioning compressor Reply with quote

I guess the question is did the compressor cause the clutch burn out, or did it just fail. I think the clutch can be replaced. May want to get estimates from different shops.
reinell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 11:29 am    Post subject: air conditioning compressor Reply with quote

If it was the compressor burning out the clutch, how do I check that?
Ken Juul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 12:40 pm    Post subject: air conditioning compressor Reply with quote

Take the fan belt off. With no electric power applied you should be able to spin the a/c pulley freely. There should be a wire running from the front of the compressor. Disconnect this at the first connector you see. Apply 12v you should hear the clutch click to grab the pulley. Now spin the pulley, should feel the resistance of turning the pump. No click or change in feel then the clutch is bad. Next question is will the compressor turn or did it seize causing the clutch to burn out. Will have to pull the clutch to turn the shaft to check. Not sure if you can do this with the compressor on the car. If it has been 3 years, may just want to change the compressor anyway. They need to be excercised to keep them in good working order.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: