Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
82kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

Well! I read the whole thing about the sheer temptation of picking up a 'nice' M3 (mechanically,) and I'm glad to see people weighing whether they'd rather have an ETA E30 or an M3. The question seems to stem from an eta that's already taken care of and runs well, along with a performance mod or two, and the M3 just TROUNCING it? I always did wonder what the King Of All E30s was when all the models were put together. But, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let me keep this coherent, to not upset the Board.

I had - (have?) - an 1986 325es 5-speed, and I too GREATLY regret "getting rid of it." There is a real possibility I will never own THAT car again! All the subsequent E30s I have seen didn't have that grey upholstery, the oh-so-mysterious BMW Factory Radar thing, the front valence, ... just not the same configuration as WBAAB5402G9673364, which -seems- to be rare and to have been a good specimen. Damn me. Even as I owned the car and drove it, I wondered my old "4-Way Shootout" on the E30 (and for this I start another paragraph

Whether one with an extremem mechanical inclanation OR an extreme budget to create something pleasing out of their E30 as a demonishly fast lurking lil' E30, should go with: 1) a TUNED eta engine (like kormanfastbmw.com and others does as work,) 2) The Largest Possible "M50" E36/E46 motor (is it S52?) that will fit under the hood and change handling but ... well we know the rest, 3) a "Stroker" of the eta or Super ETA (I saw a post -mostly- de-mystifying the Super ETA a few days back) to 2.9 or 3.0l and driving that, or 4) Just Buying and Tuning an M3? That is what I have wondered for a while. I hope the board will cast their vote for 1, 2, 3, or 4, and some input on the "i" side of things (To Owners of "i" Cars: I do NOT like your Tall Taillights! AND I love my eta too much! Therefore, unless I can sneak a Super ETA in my this/next 86 or 87 325es with the E30 look I like...) - I would now like to post my "What Would Joe Do" for JRS in this situation:

If you want to keep one of the Mercedes-Benz SUVs, keep -one- (I would ditch the ML320, the 430 sounds like a nicer ride) and buy the M3 in addition to your '87 325. I have no objection to a man having as many cars as he wants, just as long as there's 'some' kind of logic linking them, even if it's "I want it" or "I must have it" or "It wouldn't be right to have this car and not have this." If the M3 is THAT much better than the 325 eta ... See, it seems you KNOW your eta inside and out! Even here, now, 1 year and counting after mine, I still remember absolutely everything about it (even if only when a question is asked!) I am still greatly kicking myself in the ass over letting my 325es go when I could have "kept it somewhere" to do the $500 or so of stuff it probably needed to keep itself running and its oil in the pan and its gaskets from leaking, oh it brings back memories. (And no, I really haven't seen a car that is a true duplicate of the 1986 325es I've had; Too many of the 'es' cars on Autotrader are exactly Es, and automatic transmissions? NO!) JRS, if you can get rid of one of the M-Bs in order to get the M3, do it. I'm sure you'd like am M3 better than having TWO VERY NEARLY IDENTICAL MERCEDES-BENZ SPORT-UTILITY VEHICLES?!?!?

Good luck, JRS! Now, please let the board cast their vote and elaborate on 1 vs. 2 vs. 3 vs. 4.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
pup

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

abridged version please.
bbbidit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

I think that is the abridged version
SaturdayNightBimmer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

Just go with idea #4.
dale

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

5) only upgrade the diff and chip of the eta. I have an '86 528e for sale with a 3.25LSD diff and a Conforti chip, and it's night and day difference over stock. With 400 pounds less weight, it would rock!
Oh wait, I have a '86 325e with a 3.73LSD diff and a Conforti chip, spent less then $2k on the car, and that includes the Nitrous kit, and it's fricking fast! (up to 103mph)

By the way, we used to have an '86 Delphin Grey 325es, and we still regret selling it!
Bought in dec '94 sold in dec '96, my wife's first BMW. Wonder where 'ol WBAAB5409G9688993
is?
Dale

[ 02-25-2004: Message edited by: dale ]
kyshadetreebmw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:40 pm    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

It is an 86 325es that my nephew flipped into a creek this past year and that I am getting as a parts car. Another one bites the dust. All mechanicals are good but he banged up the whole thing!
charliesmith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

Kid, I read your post. Just curious, but how many cups of coffee did you have Wednesday morning?

[ 02-26-2004: Message edited by: charliesmith ]
RedBaron86325

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

Choose number 5 with i valve springs and an i throttle body.

Quote:
"I do NOT like your Tall Taillights!"

LOL
JRS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 11:14 am    Post subject: JRS's post jump-starts 82kid's imperiled 325es and opens a r Reply with quote

Charlie,

I'd guess he had a six-pack of JOLT Cola.

82Kid,

As one matures, he learns the value of "Need" vs "Want". I want the M3. I don't need it. But the opportunity is great. Too great for me to pass it up. But then there's the one fact I keep forgetting to let this forum know: My spouse does NOT know how to drive a stick shift car. If I get the M3 and keep the E30, she essentially is tied to one vehicle. If that vehicle is in for repairs, then she learns to drive a stick shift in either the M3 or the E30...

And just _why_ did you let your E30 go ?

JRS
82kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks! :wave: This post has taken me back to a happier time in my life. I had forgot all about here. I hope everyone is still around?

And. Folks. My E30 got stolen at the Newark/Irvington border. If you know where Coit St is. It is from this point on that I expressed a great interest in being armed... "Security By Glock," honestly. The problem, of course, is New Jersey. Why, oh why, did I hang with thag element. I became a statistic and I am happy to have escaped with my life... (of course, none of that has to do with BMW except for preventing theft.)

Wow, I was even hyperer back then.

I never posted up any pics of my Bimmer, did I? Tecnology was so much different 12 years ago.
Cephas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

82kid wrote:
Hi folks! :wave: This post has taken me back to a happier time in my life. I had forgot all about here. I hope everyone is still around?

And. Folks. My E30 got stolen at the Newark/Irvington border. If you know where Coit St is. It is from this point on that I expressed a great interest in being armed... "Security By Glock," honestly. The problem, of course, is New Jersey. Why, oh why, did I hang with thag element. I became a statistic and I am happy to have escaped with my life... (of course, none of that has to do with BMW except for preventing theft.)

Wow, I was even hyperer back then.

I never posted up any pics of my Bimmer, did I? Tecnology was so much different 12 years ago.

Woah, sorry to hear that the car got stolen! Sounds like at gunpoint? I still enjoy coming here and reading the old threads. I wish there were still more of the old posters around. Seems pretty dead in here.

This forum was my intro to forums - I used to dial up and really enjoy my time on here! I hope it stays going for years and I'm definitely grateful for the help I got on here.

That said - I'm still driving an e30 when the weather is nice and I *really* hope JRS bought an M3 - he made about 90K if he did Smile
"The Dirty E30"

My Dream - Bought April 2012
1989 325iS 103K Miles
BBS RX
H&R Cup Kit
Original Schwarz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: