Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running Rough - a Revisit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjhsa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Running Rough - a Revisit Reply with quote

Hi again to the good folks at the UBMW forum! It's been awhile as I didn't drive my car at all last year, and wasn't planning to put it on the road this year either, but another one of my vehicles jumped the shark.

To restart this thread, what I'm experiencing is some sort of air/fuel mixture problem that causes the engine to cough, rapidly, with sever power loss, almost like it dropped cylinders, but it eventually will clear, and drive normally.

I had this happen again yesterday as I went to pull out of the garage. It started up just fine, and as soon as I moved the steering wheel (it has a rack/pump groan), the coughing started. It was so bad the garage started filling up with smoke, so I shut it down, waited a minute, started it again - cough cough cough vroom!

Now, the fact that this started at the exact moment I moved the wheel is a hint, I believe. Isn't there some kind of "idle up" sensor or vacuum device that will cause the engine to rev a bit higher when the power steering kicks in at idle? Am I on the right track here?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I need to get this fixed once and for all.

Also, if anyone knows how to tell the difference between a bad PS pump and a bad rack, that would be great. It no longer leaks (just a tiny bit) but it sure groans and whines.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry... been a while since I was here due to all sorts of issues... Just saw this.

I had steering problems earlier this year.. They suck. IN my case, I thought the replacement rack was dying. It wasn't leaking, but it was brutal to try to turn the wheel at slow speeds, and not much better when the car was going.

I ended up buying a used steering pump, and that, as well as a flush, fixed it. HOWEVER, I will say that I also sprayed the crap out of the knuckle that connects the shaft with the rack with PB Blaster as I thought that was corroding and getting stiff.

I don't remember ever feeling the the engine was affected by the steering.

Check all vacuum hoses for any leaks. Check the BOTTOM of the big hose from the air filter box to the throttle as they mostly crack underneath for some reason, out of sight.

Also, this will sound strange, but check the seal ont eh oil dipstick where it seats into the tube. I put o-rings in the grooved depressions on the handle of the stick, and that made a big difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: