Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lighting Upgrades- UPDATED March 2014 - Details and Pics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Lighting Upgrades- UPDATED March 2014 - Details and Pics Reply with quote

To answer common questions about my high performance upgrades to both Tail lights and Brake lights, the moderator suggested I post the following on the 5er Forum. UPDATE- read through to the last post for a special deal for UnOfficial BMW readers, and other models you can upgrade.

I have shipped over seventy-five of various kits to MyE28(dotcom) members, there's lots more info on that site. Search my username and "light upgrades". I am also gaining a presence on the 3, 6, and other forums with similar upgrades for E9 (Coupe), E10 (2002), E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30 BMWs and others.

Images of before (on the left) and after (on the right) in the same pic are hosted here: http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e28/images/ Or at the bottom of this post.

BMW E28 Tail Light Enhancement For Tail Lights and Brake Lights
Introduction
The BMW E28 uses one filament bulbs on each side for tail, stop, turn, and reverse light functions. When (not if) a bulb burns out, that side of the car is dark. After twenty years, they tend to get dim, even if they are working! The Check Control will light when a tail light goes out, but better lights all around would be an improvement, day or night. The upgrades I have designed make your car much more visible from the rear.

Background: E28 Tail Lights
Rear lighting (US version) is provided by four single filament bulbs in bulb holders / plastic sockets. Current is supplied through a network of metal conductors bonded to the assembly. The wiring harness connector plugs in right in the middle of everything. The four functions are Tail, Brake, Turn Signal, and Reverse. A fifth position, unused in the US, is for a Rear Fog lamp to increase visibility to following drivers in foggy conditions. All bulbs are required to have a nickel plated base shell.

Why Are My Tail Lights So Dim, Anyway?
Dim lights may be caused by several factors, including poor design; dirt on the reflector, bulb or lens; incorrect bulb; corrosion and resulting high resistance; damaged or incorrect wiring; weak fuse contact; melted lamp housing or fuse panel (yes, they do melt); bad grounds; low voltage; and other possible causes.

How Does It Work?
The following patented methods were developed at the Mo Brighta Mo Betta™ research center (and on my car) to enhance visibility from the rear and provide redundancy. That means, even if a bulb burns out, you still have tail and brake lights on both sides of the car. You can add up to three new filaments on each side. You will not overload the stock wiring, melt plastic lenses, blow fuses, nor damage the tail light housing.
With this kit, three bulbs are used as originally intended, and modified bulbs are installed in Brake and/or Rear Fog positions. These new 2-filament bulbs supplement the original tail and brake lights. The new bulbs are supplied using the original current paths, and from additional sources through 16 gauge copper wires included with the kit. Clear instructions are provided, and help is an email or phone call away. Just don't call in the middle of the night; I do need my rest.

TAIL LIGHTS: you will have two or three on each side where there was only one. Stock bulbs are 4 cp, high output are 10cp.
BRAKE LIGHTS: you will have TWO on each side where there was only one. Stock bulbs are 32 cp, high output are 43 cp.
ALL: You will have more light from each bulb by replacing stock bulbs with High Output bulbs that profit from current technology.
Original wiring is retained, and copper wire is added where needed. Very little is actually modified, and nothing is irreversible. Removal (if you want to) is easy, and returns your lights to stock operation and appearance, but after you SEE the difference, you won’t want to!

How Hard Is It To Install?
Installation requires simple hand tools and about half an hour to install and test. If your tail lights need cleaning, or you find other problems, figure an hour or two. Your tail lights will be much brighter. If you have a camera, take ‘before’ and ‘after’ pictures of your tail lights and brake lights; you’ll see a huge difference! The pictures show stock tail lights, if they all work, on the left (Stock), and the ultimate modified lights on the right (Modified), after the kit is installed and working properly.

Does It Really Make Any Difference? Look at the images below and decide for yourself.

"Unofficial" Deal: New lower price! Mention Unofficial BMW 5 Series Forum when you order for 20% off an E28 Kit! To order the kit, or discuss various options with pricing, send me an email. Information is also available on other high quality lighting products with similar benefits, and headlight protection film for good headlighits, from XPel at less than what online retailers sell it for.

email: MoBrighta (at) comcast 'dot' net
Andrew LaMorte, PO Box 292, Denver CO 80201-0292
Tech support, orders, questions: (303) 216-0968 9 am to 7 pm, Mountain Time most days

Last edited by MisterFixit on Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:39 am; edited 4 times in total
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: New Options, Lower Cost Reply with quote

In the interests of those who can't grok the full kit, I have developed several options with less involved upgrades, fewer bulbs, and lower cost. If you are interested in keeping the wolf from your backside, but can't afford the Full Boat, maybe you will find something you can live with below. All 'filaments' mentioned below are red, either tail or brake lights. Turn and reverse lights are not considered here.

The Full Kit (for reference, this has a $95 list price) adds 6 filaments to your stock lights, going from 4 to 10 separate filaments, or 5 on each side. Currently $75 for Unofficial BMW members.

The +4 Kit adds 4 filaments (one tail, one brake) for 4 filaments each side. Currently $49.

The +2 Kit adds 2 filaments (tail or brake) for 3 filaments each side. Currently $29 for Brake Light option, $21 for Tail Light option.

Hope this helps.
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Product List now available Reply with quote

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Holiday!

Since my last posting, I have put together a list of the various product options for upgrading the rear lighting on your E28. I am also working on the 6 series, the Bavaria, and other models as time allows and demand arises. Send me an email or reply to this post and I'll get a copy out to you by return email, so be sure to provide an address.

Mention the "Thanksgiving" promotion for a 10% discount!

Andy, 'Mister Fixit,' ThreeOctaves@comcast.net
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: rear lighting upgrades- other models Reply with quote

Hope you are all having a good Memorial Day weekend, have an update to my (very old) post about upgrading rear lights. Know anyone that's been hit from behind? Read on...

In tinkering with the rear end of all my BMWs, I found opportunities to improve (increase) the light output without breaking or melting or popping fuses, even have figured out how to keep the Check Control from indicating false negatives (says a light is out when all are working).

Began with my 1972 2002, then my 1985 K100 (two-wheeler), then on to my 1986 535i, and now have designs for E24 six and E23 seven lights.

All my tinkering has been based on conservative engineering, minimum effort, maximium improvement, and complete reversability. Primarily the improvements are added in the US-spec empty reflector/socket location that would be a rear fog light if it were European etc. Bulbs are nickel base krypton gas bulbs sold by Daniel Stern Lighting, ~40% brighter than stock. Another advantage is having two filaments on each side for brakes and for tails, or redundant filaments, thus reducing the risk of a dark rear end to practically nil.

My motivation was to avoid being tagged in the rear by an inattentive driver who typically would rather be doing ANYTHING rather than actually driving the car/truck/SUV while it rolls down the highway. Unfortunately, it took five rear end impacts to my car before I got smart. How many will it take for you? NONE, I hope.

"Be Seen, and Not Hurt" is my motto.

Any comments, questions, ???

Hats off to our fighting men and women!

Andy LaMorte, the tail light guy
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: More info! Reply with quote

Hello all,
I just got a phone call from Jeff who saw this old post, so I came back and did some editing, with a new phone number and info on High Performance tail light kits for other BMW models. Plus some new products are in the works-

EURO LIGHT OPTIONS-
Do you have a grey market car, or Euro tail lights with rear fog lights?
Now there's a way to add a second brake light and second or third tail light in these too, while keeping your working rear fogs!

TRIPLE DOUBLE LIGHTS-
It is now possible, though certainly not recommended to everyone, to upgrade to three tail lights and three brake lights per side. In other words, every part of the E28 red lens lights for both tail and brake. Talk about redundancy! In this case, repeating your self is a really good thing.

BULB TINTING-
With theatrical color gel and aftermarket clear tail light lenses, you can show red tail and brake lights. Amber also possible using standard commercially available 'NA' bulbs (for Natural Amber).

HEADLIGHT PROTECTION-
How much to replace ALL your headlights - $20, or far more? Consider headlight protection from XPel Technology, $20 a set of four, custom sized to fit your lights- Euro spec Hellas (large / small), Halogen, Elipsoid, Fog lights, anything you can pay a lot to replace, you can pay a little to protect.

Thanks for your attention, and please pick up this thread, I love a lively debate!

Andy, the tail light guy
(MisterFixit on most BMW forums)
Look for me on r3vLimited, Bimmerforums, mye28, bigcoupe
1972 2002 (RIP), 1985 K100RS (RIP), 1986 535i (daily driver)
BMW CCA# 47144 (since 1985)
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Does anybody need help with dim lighting? Reply with quote

I am reviewing my posts on this forum, just to stay current ... which I have not been doing lately it seems!

My particular expertise and interest has been lighting improvements in older cars like BMW, Mercedes Benz, etc. Been into it for decades, and have come up with clever, simple, reliable kits designed to double the size, and triple the output, of tail and brake lights while seriously enhancing their reliability, safely and easily, and maintaining check panel function where installed. My focus is 1960s to 1990s era BMWs, with similar possiblities in other German and European cars using similar (Hella, etc.) lighting suppliers.

Apparently, there's no interest in lighting upgrades based on the total lack of discussion, so I am putting out a feeler to see if ANYONE thinks there is room for improvement in the lighting, or maybe I should just let it go and take care of business on the other forums.

I'd love to help, advice is free and upgrades are pretty reasonable. All are built with simplicity and reliability in mind. Nickel base bulbs, factory parts and methods, and superb results are my priorities. My oath is 'First, do no harm to wiring, reflectors or lenses.' My motto is 'Be Seen, and Not Hurt.'

Just for curiosity's sake, I looked at the 6/7/8 sub-topic and counted 9 posts in 5 years ... not much activity.

The five series subtopic has more activity, but not much interest...

I'll poke around a bit more for a while, help where I can, and maybe post a few pics.

Thanks for reading, and for keeping the breed healthy!

Andy
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: New Designs - E28 five, E12 'first five' Reply with quote

Bumpitup.

Spring sale going on now thru March 31, 2015.
New Euro designs -adds second tail, second brake, MAINTAINS rear fog light functions!
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: