Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ellipsoid- Lowbeams- secondary bulb?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Ellipsoid- Lowbeams- secondary bulb? Reply with quote

Hello, friends..

Concerning Head Lights- Ellipsoid- LowBeams..
Can anyone tell me what the secondary bulb socket is used for? (The one located at top-dead-center, behind the lens.)
beejay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytime running lights.
05 Tundra SR5 TRD
01 VFR800fi - 03 DR650S - 83 CB1100F - 82 CB900F - 69 CB750
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ellipsoid- Lowbeams- secondary bulb? Reply with quote

markf wrote:
Hello, friends.

Concerning Head Lights- Ellipsoid- LowBeams.
Can anyone tell me what the secondary bulb socket is used for? (The one located at top-dead-center, behind the lens.)

Hello markf,

I believe the low wattage lamp just above the main bulb is a 'city light' or position light, used to mark the location of a car in congested city centers where tons of people and cars are trying to avoid each other.

Sometimes these are above the main bulbs, sometimes below. In any case, I do not think any E30 was fitted with 'Daytime Running Lights' as these arrived on the scene rather later than the last E30 was made.

Here is a link showing the way they appear on my car (1986 535i). Not an ellipsoidal low, but I believe it's the same principle, same function.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132199

They are usually either a T4W bayonette or W4W wedge base lamp, wired to come on as 'parking lights' or 'clearance lights' to show where the car is when main headlight use is restricted or forbidden. The +12V wire feeding it will be grey, perhaps with a color stripe such as white, yellow, blue, etc. In versions where these are used, there is typically no dim 'parking light' filament in the turn signals.

Is your car a US or Euro version, and what year / model is it?

Do these lights work, or is this a case where you haven't installed the light but wondered what it was about, and how to connect it?
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: