Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E23, E32 Seven Series lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject: E23, E32 Seven Series lights Reply with quote

Hey all,

I wanted to post on lighting upgrades for the 'The Magnificent 7' and had a hard time - the seven series forum is a text only thing, no possibility of posting pictures. So I thought, "Why not post over on the 6/7/8 section in Unofficial BMW? Then I can send a link to refer folks over here!"

Their forum header looks kind of like:
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
The Magnificent 7
Discussion Forum - BMW 7 Series Automobiles
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

So here goes.

I've been fixing things since a very early age, and now focus on the lighting of older BMWs. I started with my 2002 roundy, and have gotten good results with the E9 Coupe, 2002 round and square, E21, E30 & E36 threes, E12, E28 & E39 fives, E24 sixes, E23 & E32 sevens. I am still looking for an M1, 8 series, anything that is better off NOT getting crunched in the back end.

My theory, put in practice when my 2002 was rear ended and totaled five (5) times, was to make it easier for the idiots to SEE my car, specifically tail, brake, and turn signals, and to make it easier to SEE WHERE I WAS GOING.

Naturally, all this is to avoid crashing and being crashed into.

So for the benefit of the Mag7 folks, I will soon post pictures here of the improved rear lighting designs for E23 and E32 seven series cars.

Here's what you can expect to see:

Bulbs are replaced with High Output (HO) versions, nickel base as BMW requires. They are Krypton gas filled, brighter versions of the ones in your lights now, no LEDs. 5-6W higher, 1/3 brighter brakes, 2/3 brighter tails.

Single tail and brake light bulbs are supplemented with a second filament to increase the size of lighted lens when tail and brake lights are in use. Takes place in the (US Version) reflectors reserved for (absent) rear fog lights.

Reliability is vastly increased, because two lamps on each side are very, VERY unlikely to both burn out at the same time, even on the same day. Same reason the FAA requires 2 clearance lights on big antennas.

Reflectors are restored as needed to regain their shiny, reflective 'New Tail-Light Smell,' really projecting the bulbs' higher output into the eyes of following drivers, where it will do some good. Startle them awake, hopefully.

Euro cars with working rear fog lights - yes, these remain working, with the added benefits of the dual tails, dual brakes improvements.

I have built several of these and they work flawlessly, totally transparent to the driver, and easy to install without cutting wires. Simply swap them into your car in place of the existing reflectors, and plug in. Same as the kits I make for Coupes, 2002s, 3, 5, and 6 series lights.

I'll be posting pics later, just wanted to whet some appetites!

Thanks for your kind attention, and please post any questions that occur to you, or share creative / brilliant ideas you've had.

Let's put our heads together to keep these old cars out of wrecks and on the ROAD, where they belong!

Thanks,
Andy
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 6/7/8 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: