Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rear lights - Restoration and Upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Parts for sale

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Rear lights - Restoration and Upgrades Reply with quote

Most BMW rear lights - early or late version - feature an empty spot that never lights. This is used around the world except in the USA: the rear fog light or NSL (NebelSchlussLicht). A Great Idea that our wise DOT decided was not necessary, but which the rest of the world found quite handy in helping avoid rear end collisions during times of poor visibility.

Boy, that sure would come in handy today, since most drivers of large vehicles are poor at seeing what is in front of them, eh? And after an older BMW is demolished, you can't replace it with another one so easily; they don't make them like they used to, or even at all in this case!!!

Here's how to keep your car out of wrecks, and yourself out of the hospital:

I have rear covers with this 'empty spot' wired and lamped as an additional brake light, plus I rewire and relamp the stock brake light converted to a dual filament tail + brake light, using high output nickel base bulbs as required by BMW.

This gives your lights the following advantages --

1) Double the bulbs lighting on each side for larger tail and brake lights;

2) High Output bulbs for brighter tail, brake, etc. lights;

3) Vastly increased reliability of tail and brake lights, because two bulbs one one side of the car are virtually never going to fail at the same time, or even on the same day.

Also, I refuse to permit any of the following - melting a lens, blowing fuses, toasting wires, cutting the wire harness, or finicky check panel behavior. Everything is designed to be removable if you don't like it.

Anyone interested, send me an email and I'll help you with these improvements! Euro cars too, working rear fogs are maintained, nothing removed, everything bigger, brighter, more reliable.

Pics of E30s, since I know they are helpful, on another forum. Similar improvements possible for about any BMW from the 1960's to 1990's, without any permanent changes - all using BMW parts and methods, all safe, all good for your car's health.

Early / convertible style lights:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=190578

Late style lights:
http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191231
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Bump Reply with quote

So, everyone on the forum thinks their rear lights are working perfectly, couldn't be better?

You may not have followed your own car while someone else drives it... maybe you could, and take a look at what other drivers see.

Just trying to help you 'be seen, and not hurt.'
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Parts for sale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: