Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deafening quiet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesnau

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Deafening quiet Reply with quote

UBBers,

It has been a while since I have posted. Here is the latest on our beloved e30, our 1985 325e, which rolled off the assembly line in October of 1984. She turns thirty in 9 months:

We drove the car to the airport to pick up my wife's daughter and baby for their Christmas visit. At highway speed, the differential roared like a lion in heat. I vowed then and there to fix this...

I took the differential to Korman Autoworks in Greensboro to be rebuilt. Take a look at their website, if you are interested:

http://www.kormanautoworks.com/

I spent $900 for the rebuild. Our Wake County Tax Collector lists the value of the car at $1100, so call me crazy if you wish, but I spare no expense when it comes to a family member.

This past weekend, I replaced the transmission seals. I made a hooked tool from a long straight blade screwdriver...made pulling the PITA selector shaft seal a breeze. I wonder if I can patent this tool and sell a million of them to reimburse my differential expense? Anyway, I replaced the two seals, rebuilt the shifter (new coupling, O-rings, shims, and clips), replaced the vibration damper (call me crazy again), guibo, transmission mounts, greased the drive shaft universal joints, installed the rebuilt diff, and finally installed a new rear exhaust. All together, I spent $900 on parts, which when coupled with the $900 diff rebuild, comes to $1800 for a car worth $1100 for tax purposes. I told my wife not ask me either what I was doing to her car, or how much I was spending. She complied with both requests.

Well, late Tuesday evening, I took the car for a spin. The quiet differential was deafening! The car has not been quiet in 10+ years. Turns out one of the diff bearing races was worn out...badly galled and pitted. It was, after all, 30 years old...no wonder the diff roared.

Finally, if you have read this far, read just a bit more. I now order BMW original parts from Tomkinson BMW in Fort Wayne, Indiana:

http://www.tomkinsonbmwparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm

About 1/3 less than MSRP. Better than my local dealer even with my 15% BMW CCA member discount. Give Tomkinson a try the next time you need genuine parts...prices are also better than Pelican for genuine parts.

If I could only find the heater control valve which is NLA...anyone have a source for NOS parts? Need 64111386707.

Jim
'85 325e, born October 1984
219K miles, original owner
Quiet and smooth as silk

tncean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the succesful project. I have a relatively low mileage, (under 100k), non-lsd diff sitting in my garage. I bought it from Dale, board moderator, several years ago. It is still in the wooden box it was shipped in, because the whine at certain loads/rpms went away after I replaced the subframe bushings. I've also kept the fluid updated in the current diff.

You may be interested in a couple of threads over on bimmerforums that deal with repairing the heater valve. Includes some pictures. The text included removing rivets, etc. One guy described using JBWeld for repair, another some type of solder procedure.

Yes, these decades old cars can be challenging to keep in good repair, but there seems to be some kind of special satisfaction in it, despite the appraised values.

Cheers! tncean
tncean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: Try Google, bmw e30 heater valve repair. Came up quick, for me.
t
jamesnau

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, tncean.

I have a spare diff myself (2.93 open)...bought it several years ago so that the car would not be out of commission if and when I had the original diff (2.79 open) rebuilt. My spare diff has a bad bearing too, but I only paid $50 for it.

Yes, I found those posts on bimmerfoums. Not sure what the nature of my problem is, other than heat and age which cause the deterioration of plastic and rubber parts. Apparently, BMW expects to receive a shipment of heater valves at the end of February. If this comes to pass, I am in good shape. If not, then plan B--If you examine images of the valve I need (64111386707):

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-325e-M20_2.7L/Search/SiteSearch/Heater_Valve/ES2580575/

and compare with images of the one that is still available (64111386706):

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-325e-M20_2.7L/Search/SiteSearch/Heater_Valve/ES176215/

it appears that the only difference is the black pipe itself. The solenoid, and I bet the guts too, are the same. So, my plan is to buy the 706, take it apart, and repair my 707. This will be a $163 experiment (Tomkinson's price), but I am willing to try. I had to do this same sort of thing with a power window motor/tranny assembly last year. The Bosch motors are the same, only the trannies are different. Bought the driver's door assembly then removed and installed the new motor on the passenger tranny. Reversed the polarity and window works like a charm.

What do you think of my heater valve plan B? Am I nuts?

Jim
tncean

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have been a reason the German engineers changed the tubing materials. Wasn't there a "recall" of sorts on the heaters on the earlier models, such as yours? Or, was that on the valve itself?

With your ingenuity, I'd bet on your plan B being succesful. Perhaps it won't be needed.

$173 is probably less than 1/2 a car payment on a modern BMW. Excluding insurance, of course.

Cheers! tncean
cjhsa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Why would the tax collector place a value on your car? Is that for registration purposes (I would think you'd be paying a minimum considering the car's age)? Or is there some sort of asset taxation going on in NC?

Remind me not to move there if the latter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: