Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check Engine Light is On

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Camina

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Check Engine Light is On Reply with quote

I have a 1988 325 and I smashed the oil pan while driving over the island/curb taking an exit on the highway too late. I had to get towed to my mechanic who replaced it. When I picked up the car the Check Engine Light was on. It wasn't before. The mechanic said it's probably the O/2 sensor. I made another appointment and had it replaced but the Check Engine Light was still on. My mechanic said the Fault Code was originally 10 (control) and 13 (0/2 sensor). After replacing the 0/2 sensor the 13 was gone but the 10 was still there. He checked all the wiring and claims the only thing he could find wrong was there was no voltage on one of the lines leading to the car's computer. He said a new computer is expensive and was trying to locate a used one but said the car is running fine and not to worry about it for now. After reading stuff online I see the numbers are 4 digits not 2. So, where is he getting these numbers from and does his diagnosis make sense ? I have my doubts because I'm thinking how could my minor accident cause the computer to become defective. There must be something else wrong ?
85-325e

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, my car doesn't have the codes, so I've never seen them or used them. However, hopefully, Idanity, Dale, Robert or others will chime in here and tell you what's going on.

If you need a replacement ECU, check eBay. There are always a few for sale up there...

dale

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have an '88 325, your engine should be the 'super-ETA'.
That has the Motronic 1.1.
The Motronic 1.3 in 89-92 325i cars have a stomp test to display codes, but I don't know how to pull codes for the super-ETA's Motronic 1.1.

If I find anything I'll post.

For the Motronic 1.3 you can find codes here and how to do the stomp test:
http://e30world.com/fuel/BMW-E30-DME-Motronic-fault-codes

Found this post that says the Motronic 1.1 will store 5 codes:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1430281
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
Camina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this.

Early systems (Motronic 1.1 only, I think) flash the fault codes automatically. If the check engine light comes on, leave the key in the On position, but dont start the car. The check engine light will begin to flash the code after about 3 seconds. Each flash is separated by about 1 second. There arent many codes on this system

1 flash......Air flow sensor malfunction.
2 flashes....Oxygen sensor malfunction.
3 flashes....Coolant Temp. malfunction.
4 flashes....Throttle switch malfunction.

More detail on these early systems can be found in the Bentley manuals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: