Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Window Stuck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkE

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Window Stuck Reply with quote

OK, The driver side window is stuck open. It went down, but wouldn't go up, then I could only get it to go down a bit more and back up to where it was stuck. Off the track? Maybe, but after taking the panel off the door (PITA with the window 2/3's down), I see that while there's a problem with the window being on track, once fixed it made no difference.

I trued using the "emergency window tool" to close the window and it won't go any higher, nor lower than the lowest point.

In using the hex tool, I noted that the mechanism itself isn't sound. There was a lot of play. This suggests to me that my problem is the motor, not the regulator.

Opinions? I'd rather not buy both!

Mark

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark... any good junk yards in your area? It would be better to pull these yourself if you can.

I have a similar problem. I bought a regulator and motor for the passenger side years ago, and never put it in, but still have it and the problem. I know it's shot because when it goes all the way down, it cacs like a machine gun. The driver's side was fine. Now the driver's side is doing it too, but on the driver's side, sometimes it gets stuck. If I can put it down a bit electircally, I can get it back up. I had to use the hex crank the other day because it was all the way down, but I got it back up a bit, used the switch to put it down a bit, and then it went back up.

My guess is that it's the regulator, and not the motor. It's the regulator that stops the window when it goes up or down. Sounds like your motor is working. I don't think the play would be in the motor, but the regulator instead.

MarkE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motor is cheaper so I may be hoping, BUT, the thing that makes me think that the motor has lost some teeth on the gear is there there's "play" in the bit where I insert the hex. in my experience, a healthy motor doesn't have a lot of play.

Of course, I could have a sick motor and a broken regulator.

M
MarkE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkE wrote:
The motor is cheaper so I may be hoping, BUT, the thing that makes me think that the motor has lost some teeth on the gear is there there's "play" in the bit where I insert the hex. in my experience, a healthy motor doesn't have a lot of play.

M

I am now in possession of a replacement motor AND regulator. Smile

Any tips besides leaving the regulator bolts a bit loose until everything fits?
MarkE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkE wrote:
MarkE wrote:

M

I am now in possession of a replacement motor AND regulator. Smile

Any tips besides leaving the regulator bolts a bit loose until everything fits?

Old regulator and motor out. JEEEEZUZZZZ MERRY 'n' JOSE! It takes a black belt in jujitsu to get that damnable thing out!

Now, to get the new one in... :/
MarkE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New motor and regulator in.

Not nearly as hard. HOWEVER, I'm having a time getting it adjusted. Tips valued and apreciated.

Twist number two. evidently, the window was binding before because when I tested the old regulator and motor out of the door, it worked. While the new motor and reg experienced some binding. So I have an extra working motor and regulator for sale if anyone wants 'em.

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: