Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stalling, engine light on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Stalling, engine light on Reply with quote

My trusty 91 318IC, M42 engine 5 speed, is stalling when started, something it has never done before. Check engine light is coming on, and going off, at odd times. Error code is for water temp sensor, but how could this affect cold starting? It coughs and stutters when it finally starts, which goes away as it warms up. Before I just start throwing parts at it, any ideas? Idle control valve? Vacuum leak?
Thanks
Steve

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
m78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe water temp sensor would cause this condition.

water pump is also a possibility.

of course, check for leaks, no matter how small.

but if it's getting bad readings from the temp sensor, it will definitely act strange and cause engine faults.

Top Speed 220 km/h

(OO=00=OO)
greenie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out to replace coolant sensor, took air cleaner off and moved vane in AFM to see it if was binding, it wasn't, and proceeded to TRY and remove connector to sensor. Without the proper tool I couldn't pop it off in the tight confines so I pushed it down onto the sensor. Started the car and it idled normally, no check engine light. Go figure. With over 220K I think it is time for 'end of shelf' life replacements, such as the water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, vacuum hoses, etc. On the M42, to get at all the hoses it looks like the manifold is going to have to come off. Fun...

Steve
greenie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like a dope I couldn't see under the intake manifold that the coolant temp sensor is held on by a spring clip. Duh. Swapped out the sensor, put in some new plugs, found oil in the wells, changed the valve cover gasket, found a cracked vacuum line, which I repaired, and the little car passed the new Cal smog test with flying colors AND is running like a top, at over 230,000 miles!

My car, which has never failed a smog test, was flagged to go to a Star Certified smog test station. I called the DMV for an explanation and they said, oh, that's because BMW's tend to be gross emitters due to their high cylinder temperatures. I told them they didn't know what they were talking about, which they don't. The reality of the situation, in my opinion, is that 2nd, 3rd, 4th owners of older BMW's either don't take care of them or can't afford to take care of them, so they have gotten a bad reputation. My car still has the original CAT.

I was curious as to what I would find as I had never had the valve cover off before (M42 engine has hydraulic lifters), but man, the timing chain and cam lobes were like new. No pitting, mirror finish. Wow.

Steve
85-325e

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats... These are great little cars, and it's amazing that one little thing like that can make all the difference.

Passing the tests is a great thing. For the last 18 years my car has been in an area where there are NO smog tests or inspections at all... I can't imagine how my car woudl do at this stage of the game. I've maintained it well, and I would think that's enough, but I'd be very nervous now if I had to put Cosmo through one now!

Glad yours passed and everything is peachy again Steve!

idanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to hear.

and keep it that way too.
remember these old engines need zinc added to oil, keep doing that, and it will be a million miles

oh, but its probably time to do a 90k maintenance if you've never done one.
85-325e

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add zinc to the oil??? What do you mean Dan? How's this done?

idanity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link to zddp

i buy it online, and use 1 bottle for every oil change
dale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Synthetic in order to insure oil with high level of ZDDP

http://www.amazon.com/Mobil-44999-Turbo-Diesel-Synthetic/dp/B0033VBBYW/

Lots of newer oils have lowered the ZDDP (zinc) levels, and our older engines like a higher level, like the oils had 10 years ago.

Here is a list of Mobil 1 oils and their ZDDP levels:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

I've chosen the 5w40 weight, as it rarely gets above 80F in the Seattle area, so I think the 15w50 is too heavy of an oil for the Seattle climate.
If I was in California or warmer climate, I'd run the 15w50.

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
dale

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of older BMWs and emission levels, my previous '87 325e passed emissions with flying colors when I brought it in after just a basic tuneup. Appears to be the original cat. Just insure the cat is nice and hot before going in, and I haven't had any trouble at all.
Actually getting numbers well below the limits.
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: