Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice on buying 1983 E28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
albelote

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Need advice on buying 1983 E28 Reply with quote

Looking at a 1983 E28 with 110,000 miles on it. Standard transmission. Looks to be in good shape, very little rust. Timing belt changed at 80k. One issue is it pops out of 5th gear after a few seconds. Is that a big deal to fix? Any quirks about this year? Price is $1500

[ 05-06-2004: Message edited by: ultimatedriving ]

[ 05-06-2004: Message edited by: ultimatedriving ]
Rich811

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Need advice on buying 1983 E28 Reply with quote

Greetings fellow rust belt New Englander. you might want to check out this site (not your year but your model).
http://member.rivernet.com.au/btaylor/BMWText/technical/E28535BuyingHints.html

I would think your 5th gear slippage is a clutch adjustment but do not know enough to advise you.
Price sounds good providing body is relatively rust free. Take a walk around with a magnet and see if what seems to be metal really is. Take a look at the spare tire wheel well and the rear licnse plate mountings as you will read in then article.
I believe you have those funkie metric TRX wheels. Tires are exoensive if you can find them. New wheels can be found cheap if you have time to search for them.
Good Luck!
Robbo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Need advice on buying 1983 E28 Reply with quote

Popping out of gear - not slipping clutch - may be damage in the box which may require a box re-build.

Big time money if this is the case, so walk away and look for another one.

'Corse I may be wrong and someone will put me right if I am..
4-Door Flunky

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Need advice on buying 1983 E28 Reply with quote

I agree with Robbo. Popping out of gear means you'll need another transmission, or have that one rebuilt.
I lucked out and the guy before me got stuck with that expense...although I do have the rusting around one of the license plate lights...
Flunky
gautoatx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd share some background information about the E28 and some common issues/repairs. Pretty much what you should know before buying.
http://www.germanautocenter.com/bmw-5-series-e28-the-king-of-its-day/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: