Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Door Handle Catch Slipping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dathaeus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Door Handle Catch Slipping Reply with quote

Ok, now its one little thing after another, validating some jestering by Mercedes people on BMW's, ugh....

My driver side door handle must be getting worn... now I have to jerk it hard and quick, and works better with my left hand than right (I know, I KNOW, dont go there!)... and I feel like its getting worse... there are times when I pull with my right and the handle just comes up empty, no catch or resistance whatsoever, which means eventually, I will have to go into my freakin car from the passenger side! Imagine how embarrassing that would be on a date, LOL.... and I assume it will only get worse because this doesnt seem like the kind of problem that will get better on its own.

So options? Easy handle replacement? Or whole door? Anyone else have this problem? Thanks as always guys.
Front: 17" (225)
Rear: 17" (245)

Answerway.com
smithpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: door handle trouble Reply with quote

likely just a little piece of clear plastic in the linkage that get old and cracks away until nothing is left, leaving too much play.
Mine broke off completely, I have to replace the entire door handle from another door and then switch lock cylinders.
The plastic part you need is not for sale.
This truely is a big pain in the rear, glass has to come out and then screws come out from inside I hope.
2001 e46 325i manual
Dathaeus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: door handle trouble Reply with quote

smithpatrick wrote:
likely just a little piece of clear plastic in the linkage that get old and cracks away until nothing is left, leaving too much play.
Mine broke off completely, I have to replace the entire door handle from another door and then switch lock cylinders.
The plastic part you need is not for sale.
This truely is a big pain in the rear, glass has to come out and then screws come out from inside I hope.

LOL, I guess better late than never.... but thanks anyways.

I actually JUST got it fixed, weird u message me now. Found an indy right near my new job. He charged me one hour of labor, no parts, $91.50. He said it was just a cable that slipped/loose/stretched or something, and it just needed to be readjusted, said all the parts were fine. I thought the same as you from my research but I guess not. It was getting real bad now, I couldnt even get it the cooler mornings, had to open from passenger side, so I dont mind spending that while letting a good guy make an hour's worth of money.
Front: 17" (225)
Rear: 17" (245)

Answerway.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: