Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Power Steering Plugged Up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjhsa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Power Steering Plugged Up? Reply with quote

The rack and pinion is making a horrible noise when cold. What's odd is that it's not leaking fluid. Well, maybe a little drip here and there, and when it does this the fluid in the reservoir gets foamy.

Could it just be gunked up? The fluid looks a little dirty, not clear. Maybe a flush and fill would help? Ideas?

I replaced the R&P about 8 years ago. This happened very suddenly.
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foamy means air getting in. How's the level of the fluid? Is the cap tight? Check all of the hose connections. When steering fluid gets low, the foaming will start, and it'll make a horrific noise when the steering is turned or gets to a lock on either side. As the fluid warms, the noise gets less. Check the fluid first.

cjhsa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fluid level is good, that is what I can't understand. The noise is pretty darn bad, reminds me of when the original went, but when that happened I lost all the fluid too.
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the rubber boots to the tie rods going to the wheels. If they're filled with fluid, the rack is leaking. Sometimes the fluid can leak into the boots without leaking OUT of the boots. Just squeeze them a bit... you'll be able to tell...

cjhsa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will do that.

Last night I siphoned off about 10oz of dirty looking PSF and replaced it with Lucas Power Steering Fix. I started up the car and turned the wheel a few times, made a mess right where the pinion meets the rack. Not a huge mess but maybe a few tablespoons. What's worse is that it leaked some oil up front that dripped down off the A/C compressor... not sure wtf is going on there. It never used to leak, just burned it.

The PS was horribly noisy again this AM but by the time I got down the road a ways it was perfectly quiet and fine. Made it to work without issue.

So now I have a car that doesn't like to start, leaks oil, and may or may not provide power steering. Oh joy.
cjhsa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to move back to Mountain View, CA so I can take it over to Dinan. Aside from the dealership, I can't find anyone here I really truly trust. Sure they'll work on it, but the results are questionable at best.

"Pure Michigan".
cjhsa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shop wants $600 to replace the R&P. Not happening. I will grind my way through the next week or so until I store it for winter, and then see what I can do.

I am considering selling it. Hey, the A/C works!

1984 325e, 158K+ miles (unknown), leather seats, 5-speed
California car, no rust, a few dents, paint in fair to poor condition
Recent service, runs ok, needs R&P work
Lotsa new parts: Control arms, tires, plugs, cap & rotor, timing belt, belts, hoses
Lotsa newer parts: Driveshaft, radiator, Guibo, windshield, headlights, etc.

What's it worth?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: