Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/C Work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjhsa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: A/C Work Reply with quote

I found a couple guys who specialize in working on A/C in older vehicles. Have the BMW in their shop now. They told me two things: It's low on R12 (duh), and there is a fan wiring problem (I'm guessing it's the secondary electric fan). Since they haven't fixed it or asked for any money they're probably trying to get a cheap part like a thermo-switch.

About six years ago I took my car to a local place that still did R12 work. They evacuated the system and found a clogged expansion valve, which they cleaned. After about 90 minutes they told me it still wasn't working right, the high side was low and the low side was too high. They charged me nothing. I drove away and turned it on and it worked... for a few months.

I will post updates here as things progress.

cjhsa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the A/C guys wound up taking the car to a mechanic because there is some sort of wiring issue with the compressor (electric) fan. It's not running fast enough. Once that is done it should be an easy fix for the R-12 crew. Pretty surprising for a 28-year old car that has only ever had the dryer replaced.
85-325e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sort of bizarre... there's a resistor on that fan... maybe the resistor's shot...

85-325e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to my post above... I think that fan has two speeds and the resistor is part of that speed process (I thin it's the slow speed but...). I'm hoping someone else will chime in here because I'm not exactly sure.

Here are a few posts though:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33615&highlight=aux+fan

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32791&highlight=aux+fan

cjhsa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I will forward the info.
cjhsa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they got the A/C working, and supposedly corrected the warm start chugging issue as well. I'll believe it when I feel and see it.

These were my Dad's "shade tree mechanics", and they are highly rated and sought after, but they did try to rip him off, which I managed to nip in the bud. So we shall see.
85-325e

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are you getting the car back???

cjhsa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it back over the weekend. The A/C works. They found some wiring problems and replaced what is noted as a "Resistor fan" on the invoice, which cost all of $48.

The rough start/idle was not corrected. They seem to feel it is a fuel pump issue, which is something I wondered about but had discounted. The problem initially occurred while driving on dirt washboard. It's possible something got loose in the gas tank and sucked up into the pump(s).

Only took six weeks rofl....

FYI the price wasn't horrible. Typical of most shops, $300 of which 1/3 was for parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: