Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace windshield ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tncean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Replace windshield ?? Reply with quote

Contemplating replacing windshield on a 90i. Original is quite "sand-pocked", or, has lots of erratic graining.

Do not wish to DIY. Found quotes in the low 200$ range for driveway install.

Do I need to replace the lockstrip?

Best to do before or after a paint job?

Tried a search... a bit overwhelming.

Thanks!

tncean
85-325e

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy...

Well, in my case, I had it done when the car was painted. I had them remove the windshield before painting... they painted... waited a few days, then put the new windshield in.

I bought a new gasket and a new locking strip because I wanted new rubber and no matter how careful you are with the car, that locking strip always turns from chrome to a copper color.

Hope that helps...

tncean

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Gasket and lockstrip about 44$ ea on Pelican.

Thanks for input!

t
85-325e

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Problem! FYI, I thought it would turn out better if they didn't have to tape around the windsheild gasket... you always see a tape line like that, and if you're going to change the windshield anyway, might as well pull it, paint it, wait for it to dry, then install new windshield... that's the way they would do it originally...

gr8acclaim

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree that if you are doing both at around the same time, I'd definitely pop the old one out, let them paint, and once it's good and dry / cured / done, then have the new one installed.

Now I don't know about these cars as far as this goes, but some cars I've had in the past, when the window got popped out, rust was discovered hiding under the rubber seal. You don't want to find that, of course, but if it IS there, it's best to find it before it's painted so you can deal with it then, rather than having to be SUPER careful to avoid potentially damaging the new paint while trying to repair it afterward.
tncean

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lockstrip on my 90i is black, not a "chrome". Appears to be smooth, no cracks or wrinkles. The gasket is somewhat weathered, but well intact.

Thanks for the heads-up on the rust potential.

t
dale

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen rust a few times on passenger side, lower corner. Think the drain gets plugged and water sits in there and eventually rusts if there any salt added.
(cars in the Pacific NW don't rust cause we only get rain water, not melted snow water mixed with salt)

Black lockstrip was an "is" option, for black out trim. Or added by an owner someplace along the line. A few years ago this wasn't available from the dealer, but someone told me it was available again.

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: