Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a/c compressor chatter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmaldin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: a/c compressor chatter Reply with quote

My A/C compressor makes a lot of chattering noise when it is on. The belt and pulley are new, so that is not the issue. The noise stops when I turn off the A/C. Is this an indication that the compressor is going to fail? The A/C still blows cold. Has anyone else experienced this loud chattering sound when the compressor operates?
killerbeem

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's your compressor?
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Viscontini

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issues and somewhere I read about a common issue with the idler size or shaft length? or similar. I believe it was described in the TIS data.

Update, I found it in TIS and it is the AC idler the shaft being too long and play in it. Says to remove idler, hammer the shaft 5 mm deeper then grind the excess off the back. Specific to the M50 engine
mmaldin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After researching and discussing with techs, I decided to change the compressor. After 17 1/2 years and 178K miles it was the right course of action. I am keeping the car and the noise was either the clutch or the compressor. $280 for a new Denso compressor and receiver/dryer. $100 for a shop to evacuate the r134a before I started and then pull a vacuum and refill the r134a. All in all, a worthwhile investment in a car that has had very few repairs so far. It took about 2 hours from start to finish. It purrs now and blows ice cold. Very Happy
walshja

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I'm having similar problems.

I have a '94 with 228k miles, and my compressor, for the first time, started making noise. Sound like a bearing has gone bad. My system has been leaking for over 10 years, I put about a half can in every spring. But this year the pulley on the compressor is rattling. Guess I need to do what you did !! The prices you quoted are much better than what I would have expected.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: