Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Temperature Gauge on instrument cluster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchau4265

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Temperature Gauge on instrument cluster Reply with quote

Hello all

Late last year, I had a major cooling problem with my 94 325

The engine started running hotter and eventually RED lined. In all cases, when the gauge approached RED, I pulled off the freeway and turned off the engine. Therefore, there was no cases of steam emitting from the engine block, radiator

Long story short, since Nov 2011 to now, I have replaced the following
1) Thermostat
2) Water Pump
3) Radiator

Each item was replaced sequentially, starting with Thermostat and ending at Radiator.

The engine is running better now but the temperature gauge reads a tad over the middle. Please see the attached picture for reference

Is this normal? Before this heating problem incident, the needle used to be dead center. The mechanic has bled the coolent everytime the components were changed out. I asked my mechanic and he now wants to do a head gasket replacement. I think that is overkill.

Is this temperature gauge condition normal or I need to replace the temperature sensor? Any insight?

Many thanks

Jeffrey
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, that is where mine sits.

So long as it doesn't fluctuate, you're good. If the needle rises when you are at a traffic light, then lowers when you start moving, that would indicate you have something going on, like air in your system.

but I believe you are OK

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

jchau4265

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

Thanks a million. I was evening thinking of using Steel Seal just in case there was a cracked head gasket.

After all the replacements, the coolant level at cold remains at the fix mark within the reservoir and rises an inch and 1/2 after the engine runs hot.

It is really strange that before these series of cooling problem happening, the indicator was at dead center.

In any case, base upon your input, there's no need to worry or replace the temperature sensor

Thanks again

Jeffrey
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cooling systems on BMWs is their Achilles heal, so you should be concerned as you are.

what is probably causing the slight sift is the new thermostat, it could be just a few degrees different than your old one. but that isn't a problem.

you are good to go !! every couple of months check the coolant level !!!

1994 325iC, 195k miles

jchau4265

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

That makes a lot of sense. The new thermostat operating at a slightly different temperature can definitely impact the temperature reading.

My rant for the morning, both of my Bimmers are a real money pit lately.

I had read your posting regarding coolant bleeding and was trying to use it for the cooling issue on my X5.

My X5's temperature gauge has been fluctuating and fortunately did not overheat. Since one of the possible causes is trapped air, I tried bleeding the coolant

The steps I did were

1) Remove the coolant cap from the reservoir
2) Remove the bleeder screw cap (next to the coolant cap)
3) Turn the key to position II (did not start the car)
4) -----

Before I was able to execute (4 - turn the heat to maximum), I had coolant gushing out form the bleeder screw area like a fountain. It gushed very high and the moment I turned the ignition key off, it stopped gushing.

I am now stumped.

I was hoping to bleed the coolant before resorting to bringing the X5 to replace the thermostat.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all your advice

Jeffrey
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this for the x5

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5-e53-forum/80257-coolant-flash-bleeding-system-diy-2001-bmw-x5-4-4l-pictures.html

looks like you were on the right path, when you turn the heat on, there is a circulating pump in the expansion tank apparently, and that is what is spitting out the coolant. when only coolant, and no air bubble come out, I think you are done.

Quote:
Bleeding the system:

Now comes the tricky part:
I have follow this guide and it worked for me:
(credits to the author):::

-add antifreeze and water all the way to full,
-wait for a minute or two as the level will go down......,
-add some more and some more,in till is not going any more in!

-then put the key in,
-position II,
-but do not start the motor.
-set fan to low, heat to 90.
-this turns on the small pump that re circulates coolant inside the expansion tank and
Hopefully dislodges any air still stuck in there.
-when you don't see any more air bubbles from the bleed hole,
Put the screw back in and the cap.
And you good to go...

But monitor your coolant gauge at dash just in case the temp will rise up.,you don't want
To overheat the engine!!!.

If everything goes okay,I let mine run for about 30 minutes,and then I stopped and let it cool down over night
And the sec day I have checked the level and I have added just a little.and that's all.
Everything working fine...

here is an even better writeup

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1423821

1994 325iC, 195k miles

jchau4265

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe

Thanks for the research.

Since so much coolant spilt with the gush, I had to top up the reservoir again. I was not able to confirm whether it was bled correctly as I rushed to stop the fountain of gushing coolant.

At this time, it appears that temperate gauge is still fluctuating and therefore I may have a thermostat problem

Thanks for your help

Jeffrey
jchau4265

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jchau4265 wrote:
Hi Joe

Thanks for the research.

Since so much coolant spilt with the gush, I had to top up the reservoir again. I was not able to confirm whether it was bled correctly as I rushed to stop the fountain of gushing coolant.

At this time, it appears that temperate gauge is still fluctuating and therefore I may have a thermostat problem

Thanks for your help

Jeffrey

Hi Joe

After a few hundred $$$, I think this fluctuating gauge is solved. According to the tech diagnostic, my X5 had a stuck thermostat and it was leaking coolant. I am good for now on the X5 cooling issue.

In the meantime, will be keeping an eye on my E36 cooling. Hopefully this is behind me. In the meantime, I may have to spend some bucks for another problem as my valve cover gasket appears to be leaking some engine oil.

Not looking forward to this

Thanks

Jeffrey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: