Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

radiator leak under bottom of radiator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: radiator leak under bottom of radiator Reply with quote

Just noticed a radiator leak at the bottom under the Black plastic piece that covers the bottom tube and runs along the bottom of the radiator is leaking. Not sure if its the tube or something near the expansion tank connection that is leaking down. Is that tube replaceable or perhaps its just a connection??
MJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the guys looked at it. Turns out the expansion Tank has a pinhole in it at the bottom. Its odd because I just had a new tank put in a year and half after the other really cracked after 13 years it was the original. This was a Behr 17 11 1 723 520 they put in. Are there defective ones out there and how can this happen???
geminiys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone. the same happened to me. The original survived for 12 years. Replaced with Behr brand myself and it only lived for 1 year and got a crack in the middle. Replaced with another one, Behr brand and it has been going for 3 years so far without a problem yet.
MJ

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sort of comforting. But you wonder if Behr knows of defects but no one knows. Another 250.00 out the door for a person who cannot do it myself.
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cant the coolant tank just be replaced.I was told they need to flush the system etc etc.
yelcab1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they don't need to flush the system but half of it will come out. if you have not changed the coolant in a year, it is a good idea to just flush it all. $25 for BMW coolant and distilled water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: