Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stereo Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dathaeus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Stereo Advice Reply with quote

An audio novice here...

My stereo is badly handicapped now. The display doesnt work most of the time, the volume knob finicky, and my speakers seem to be going as well, ie, when the volume goes up, you get that nasty fizzle that makes you cringe.

I am by no means an audiophile, I just need my music/whatever to play normally, reliably. I guess the only thing I want is a USB port so I can easily just add some music to a flash drive and plug in... I do not use i-anything (I'm Android) and no mpw3 players either.

I saw this thing on sale, and someone told me its a POS, although it looked cool:

http://1saleaday.com/flash/pyle-plr38i/

If it does suck, then I guess you cant go wrong with Crutchfield, is that correct? Something like

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1303300UB/Pioneer-DEH-3300UB.html?tp=5684&nvpair=FFUSB_Input|Front#customer-reviews-tab

That even includes all the accessories and the super duper "manual."

My main concern was, for any stereo you buy, how do you KNOW it is compatible with your car? Are stereos that universal, where a simple adapter pretty much makes an stereo compatible with any car?

Thanks!

1997 328i, 4dr, Sports package, 5-speed manual
Front: 17" (225)
Rear: 17" (245)

Answerway.com
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crutchfield sucks,
i guess their speakers are ok, but i have never been really impressed with their goods.

the link to the deck doesn't work..well, i have to login, and im not about to create a membership just to look at it...if youcan copy its specs here i could give my opinion.

seems like they only carry the low end, and reman models or known defect model stuff. and while i should not critisize without a better example, i have heard of a lot of friends complain about having to resend things back to them...i do note that they do honor their returns. but i would always prefer local shops to crutchfield (or newegg if i had to buy online)..even though i buy way too much stuff online, and its always a crapshoot. most places are good if not great.

i too am an anti - i user (andriod does it all so much better...been rooted since the original g1) and its not relevant to anything 'i' related as bluetooth is key if at all.
and
1 disc with MP3's has over 100 songs. all in custom folders or however you write its filetree...very easy to do.

be sure to note the size limitation of any USB decks (some are very low, but even 1g is a ton)

do outside reviews..google the unit and add review to it. never trust insite reviews. (or at least be skeptical, as many sites will NOT publish bad reviews)

im running sony cdx-fw570
alpine 1000w bridged to the sub
15" dvc phoenix gold (original pg- quality..new pg is junk)
rockford fosgate punch 200 4channel amp (old school still kicks ass)
orion 4" rears
stock front kick panel speakers
orion tweets in the door pods
system is awesome. but i do wish to convert to digital amps soon (at least bass)

you state you prefer a USB connection (which is easy and slightly popular) but my preference was always at least an MP3 disc player.

i currently use a sony detatchable mp3 player which changes colors (the red on dim mode matches the interior lights perfectly) and i can switch it to green to match my 88 yota 4x4 (same deck in both vehicles makes my life easier, 1 faceplate to rule them all) and even though i bought these from the sony store, they were both reman- and on sale.

as far as bad speakers, they do wear out.
they are easy to replace, but 1st you must know a few things.

remove your current speakers and note the ohm value
note the size and depth
*replace with similar specs and its done.

*wires could be grounding or shorting, and are best replaced. tape new wire to the ends of the old and as you pull out the old, the new will fallow the same path.

hope that helps.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
im running sony cdx-fw570
alpine 1000w bridged to the sub
15" dvc phoenix gold (original pg- quality..new pg is junk)
rockford fosgate punch 200 4channel amp (old school still kicks ass)
orion 4" rears
stock front kick panel speakers
orion tweets in the door pods
system is awesome. but i do wish to convert to digital amps soon (at least bass)

All that is going through my head as I read this is the Old LL Cool J song lyrics "Cars ride by with the boomin system"...

As to idanity's sentiment about Crutchfield and "suck", I have to agree. About 12 years ago, they had their stuff in order, but since they went mainly online, things have gone down hill. I do appreciate the ability on that site to help you determine what will fit the existing factory setup, but you can also find that same information here in our community.

Now, two things:
1. Wanting a USB deck opens up a lot of names to look into. As idanity also mentioned, some of them have a limit on what size of a USB drive can be read. However, there is a silver lining to this, 90% of the manufacturer's out there with a USB input ALSO have a 1/8" stereo input, which will play your wonderful Android music player just as well, no special wiring necessary, just a single 1/8" male to male cable! yahooooo! Then, you can go to <insert local stereo shop, Walmart, Best Buy, etc here>, and tell them you want:
a. Head unit with at least six outputs (correct me if I am wrong, but there are six speakers in most e36 series?) at no less than 25 Watts a piece (usually, you will find 4x20/ 4x25, with a total of 80 - 100 Watts output power at Walmart for instance, usually in the $100 range)
b. Wiring Harness (see this link here: http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Harness-radio-wiring-installation/dp/B000KL4X5W for your BMW, this MAY have to be ordered online.
c. Possible replacement speakers, (see this link here for example sizes I found on BavAuto, then just match them at your local shop, OR order them from Amazon or BavAuto: http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=0&htarget=asgridyearmodel.asp&Hecode=undefined&hdept_id=404&HCY=1997&HCM=328i PS, you MIGHT have to reenter your year/ model)

and

2. When you want to reference a guide that can help walk you through this, of course, our all powerful "search" function can bring up posts, and if I remember, Ron Stygar has some installation help on the e36 site here, and there is a quick link to the whole stereo subsection for e36 http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/stereo/

As to compatibility, most standard form radio's fit our slot in the dash. The large form factor radios obviously do not. Again, I am not the greatest fan of Crutchfield, but they do a good job of telling you what WILL fit the car on the build my radio section, then you just go to a better vendor to get it!

If you want, I can take some time tonight or tomorrow and spec you out a full installation, with all major parts required. Just give me a price limit?

Talk to you later.
MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: