Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

temp guage/ more toward cooler range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: temp guage/ more toward cooler range Reply with quote

1997 328i. Temp guage has always been in the middle. But today after a very cold night it took a long tome to get part way to the middle. It would fluctuate a bit as I was driving just to the left of the middle and a little lower. Then it sort of stayed almost in the middle but then again not constant? I did open the coolant top yesterday to check coolant and all was well. Drove and it was fine but today after a cold night its acting odd any ideas?
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, you need to ensure your system is properly bled. air in the system can cause fluctuations in temp reading (although usually fluctuates towards to hotter side).

If you are sure there is no air in your system, then I would look towards your thermostat. a thermostat this is sticking open will cause the car to run cooler.

here are some instructions on bleeding your system
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=33780&highlight=

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

MJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: temp guage/ more toward cooler range Reply with quote

well it seemed a bit better today it went to middle and stayed though when I put heat up it slightly went down a spec. Something is up or will be up soon . How would air get in the system?? I must say the car has high mileage 200,000 but has been great. Just wish I had an intelligent guy to work on the car with me. As I like doing these things but not confident on cars. Do you work on your car?
walshja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey MJ

I do all the work on my car.

if you are getting fluctuations when you play with the heat, I'm guessing you have air in your system. Did you read the directions I posted? It is pretty simple.

where are you located? I'm in Guilford. I'd be happy to show you how to bleed your system if you wanted. This is something everyone who owns these cars should learn.

1994 325iC, 195k miles

MJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new coolant put in a year ago there really is no need to bleed the system now. Temp guage is probably getting finicky.
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok

1994 325iC, 195k miles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: