Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting Fuel leak issue. Thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Interesting Fuel leak issue. Thoughts? Reply with quote

OK, so I am looking for suggestions on how best to determine where a fuel leak is occurring.

Here's how it started:
1. Every time I fill up my tank to full and then I park in the garage, the next time I return to the garage, I can definitely smell fuel. Initially, I thought it was because the cap wasn't on tight, so I verified.
2. I crawled under the car, without jacking it up, could not see fuel leaking under the tank, so I decided to start from the front and work my way back.
3. I jacked the car up, following the fuel lines directly into the injectors, and could not find any wet spots (other than normal "oil dirt"), so I cleaned the area, and let the car sit.
4. Over night, the smell grew stronger, and there was no fuel leaking around the fuel lines under the car either.
5. Then, I backed the car out of the garage, and found the tell tale signs of a fuel leak, and it was centered around where the fuel tank fill hose is. 6. Well, not being able to determine exactly where yet (my tank over the course of three days, and two drives to test out other minor work I was doing (belts, plugs, oil change, etc) was down to just over 1/2 a tank but under 3/4, and wala! no fuel leaking after the car sat for 36 hours.
7. So I took pictures. See them below. What I THINK is the sign of a fuel leak is evident by discoloration, but I am not 100% sure, so I wanted to bring it to everyone here so that I can get a group response.

Ultimately, the issue is, anything over 3/4 a tank will result in fuel leaking from one of two areas, either the fuel fill hose, or on the other side were the fuel lines attach, I have also taken pictures of that area.

I am searching the web and this site to see if this is somewhere common, and I definitely have no issue replacing hose lines, fuel pipe, etc; but not REALLY looking forward to dropping the gas tank, based on what I have seen under the car on how to get to it.

Here are the pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mkilpatric/BMWFuelLeak?authuser=0&feat=directlink
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
geminiys

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend removing the rear passenger tire and then removing tire well rear splash guard, holding on 3 screws, if I remember correctly. You will be exposed to more hoses that interconnect fuel tank, charcoal canister (sits under the spare tire cover, and pressure sensor. Look in there, as that is the area where hoses bent a lot and crack over time. Mine was badly cracked but only gave me "Check Engine" and Small Leak Code through OBD-2 scanner. No small of gas. Again, my car is OBD-2. Not sure about yours.
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Interesting Fuel leak issue. Thoughts? Reply with quote

I had the same issue a few months back. It was the gaskets for the fuel pump / fuel gauge senders.

You can access them by removing the rear seat cushion, then the two metal access plates under it. Before removing the senders from the tank clean the area with a vacuum cleaner or compressed air.

When installing the new gaskets spray them with silicone mold release spray to make it easier to install.

I believe the procedure is in Bentley and Pelican has the parts.

Phil

killerbeem wrote:
OK, so I am looking for suggestions on how best to determine where a fuel leak is occurring.

Here's how it started:
1. Every time I fill up my tank to full and then I park in the garage, the next time I return to the garage, I can definitely smell fuel. Initially, I thought it was because the cap wasn't on tight, so I verified.
2. I crawled under the car, without jacking it up, could not see fuel leaking under the tank, so I decided to start from the front and work my way back.
3. I jacked the car up, following the fuel lines directly into the injectors, and could not find any wet spots (other than normal "oil dirt"), so I cleaned the area, and let the car sit.
4. Over night, the smell grew stronger, and there was no fuel leaking around the fuel lines under the car either.
5. Then, I backed the car out of the garage, and found the tell tale signs of a fuel leak, and it was centered around where the fuel tank fill hose is. 6. Well, not being able to determine exactly where yet (my tank over the course of three days, and two drives to test out other minor work I was doing (belts, plugs, oil change, etc) was down to just over 1/2 a tank but under 3/4, and wala! no fuel leaking after the car sat for 36 hours.
7. So I took pictures. See them below. What I THINK is the sign of a fuel leak is evident by discoloration, but I am not 100% sure, so I wanted to bring it to everyone here so that I can get a group response.

Ultimately, the issue is, anything over 3/4 a tank will result in fuel leaking from one of two areas, either the fuel fill hose, or on the other side were the fuel lines attach, I have also taken pictures of that area.

I am searching the web and this site to see if this is somewhere common, and I definitely have no issue replacing hose lines, fuel pipe, etc; but not REALLY looking forward to dropping the gas tank, based on what I have seen under the car on how to get to it.

Here are the pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/mkilpatric/BMWFuelLeak?authuser=0&feat=directlink
killerbeem

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

Thanks for the insight. I am pretty sure at the point the seals are my culprit, and have ordered them (patiently waiting...)

I'll update the outcome once I am completed.

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: