Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Check engine light vs gas cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
red323is

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Check engine light vs gas cap Reply with quote

In early July check engine light went on, turned out to be gas cap, replaced it with a Blau cap from Pelican Parts.

This week I was in an unfamiliar area, low on gas & couldn't find a station so I drove around on Reserve for a bit (I don't make a habit of doing this).
Finally got gas, then an hour later the check engine light went on. I checked cap several times, it seemed fine. Had a code read & it said 'no link found.'
Next day the light went off by itself. Then...day after that, light went on again and it's still on. Car drives fine. Did I possibly mess something up by driving on empty too long, or do you think this gas cap may be the cause?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you messed anything up by driving low on gas, except getting crap from the bottom of you tank into a fuel filter. Most likely you have a "small leak" somewhere. Giving the fact that your Gas Cap is new, I suspect you lines that connect Charcoal Canister and Fuel Tank intake line are old and most likely cracked. Remove the Passenger Rear Tire and then the cover within the tire well facing the rear. You will be exposed to the Fuel Tank intake and a few rubber hoses that connect the Charcoal Canister in the trunk under the Spare Tire. Double check all of them for cracks. Replace them as you find it necessary. Report back please so others can benefit from it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: