Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E36, 323i, M50 engine noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ian_alex

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: E36, 323i, M50 engine noise Reply with quote

I have had a noise issue for several years and which is getting progressively worse as you might expect.
Nothing when cold but when hot at low revs under light load what I can best describe a a dull knock. Under heavy load eg a fast start it does not exist! In any event the noise goes away at higher revs.
With a stethoscope it seems to be from the timing chain area but it is not what I would regard as chain noise.
Various dealers have listened but no ideas except to disconnect Vanos which I did with no effect.
I thought about oil viscosity change with temperature perhaps related to chain tension but this is spring loaded!
What about hydraulic tappets? but location does not stack up
I intend to remove the cam cover to have a look but don't expect to see anything amiss.
There are no performance or any other issues.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the symptoms you are describing sounds similar to what I have, and I was told it was my VANOS. This was maybe 100k miles ago, I never fixed it, and other than the sound, there are no other symptoms.

I went to a slightly heavier oil once, and the noise did lessen, but never went away.

I was also told this is a common problem on my 325, which I think is the same engine on your 323, right? 2.5 liter?

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

ian_alex

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I will try disconnecting vanos again to see if it makes any difference.
regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: