Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sad News
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Sad News Reply with quote

A couple of days ago while commuting to the SF Bay Area I fell asleep and went off the road. I hit a sign post and spun back onto the road. The impact awakened me and I was able to regain control of the car and get it off the road. I thank God that the air bag did not deploy for if it had I'm sure I would have been too stunned to do any thing.

The tow driver brought the car to my house and I did an inspection.

The driver side lower arm is bent as well as the wheel. The airbox is pushed nearly to the strut tower so I think frame work will be needed.

I lost the coolant at the scene of the accident but the AC still works. The radiator looks OK and I still don't know from where the collant leaked.

Considering the age and mileage (~280 K miles) I think I will have to consider its injuries terminal. This breaks my heart. I loved that car.

When I get home I'll look at it more, but the body shop wanted ~$1200 just to fix the damage Bambie did to it a few months back. I am guessing that this will be north of $ 3 K.

I will be looking for a late e36 or an early e46 (before the Banglized headlight treatment).

Phil
walshja

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, the good news is you are OK.

that sucks about the car.

what wheel style do you have on the car? I have a set of bottlecap rims I'll give you.

you gotta fix the car Phil !!!!

def don't get an e46, we will never hear from you again . . .

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

PJK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Thanks.

This could have been much worse. I could have killed myself and / or someone else. I was about eight miles out from Dixon where I was going to stop, sleep for half an hour, get coffee, and be on my way. From now on when I get sleepy I will stop at the first place where it is safe.

I do have the bottle cap wheels. I am back in town so I am going to start taking things apart to see where I stand with this car. If it looks like I can fix it for something like what it was worth before the unfortunate event, I will take you up on the offer.

I'll report more as I learn more.

Phil

walshja wrote:
Phil, the good news is you are OK.

that sucks about the car.

what wheel style do you have on the car? I have a set of bottlecap rims I'll give you.

you gotta fix the car Phil !!!!

def don't get an e46, we will never hear from you again . . .
mmaldin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, sorry to hear of your accident and I am glad you are OK. Good luck finding another e36, nice ones are few and far between. I have been trying to find one for a friend so I know. If you go with an e46, let me know and I can advise you on repairs and maintenance. My wife has one and and I have been wrenching on it for over a year and have learned much about issues with that generation.
PJK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael.

You are right finding the e36 I want is not going to be easy. I guess I really want mine.

If I end up with an e46 I'll be looking to you for advice.

I have pulled off the bent lower control arm and plan to pick up a replacement today. Hopefully tomarrow the car will be somewhat drivable so I'll take it to a frame shop to see where I stand.

Phil

mmaldin wrote:
Phil, sorry to hear of your accident and I am glad you are OK. Good luck finding another e36, nice ones are few and far between. I have been trying to find one for a friend so I know. If you go with an e46, let me know and I can advise you on repairs and maintenance. My wife has one and and I have been wrenching on it for over a year and have learned much about issues with that generation.
PJK

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I have replaced the lower arm and put the spare wheel on the left front. I adjusted the front end toe in. Driving the car one would not know anything is wrong.
I took the car to a frame and body shop to get some idea where I stand. He told me that the first step is to get the front end aligned. If it aligns, it does not have to go on the frame rack. For a "proper job" he would cut away the sheet metal in font of the strut tower and weld in a new peice.
If I were to leave the car with him to fix, it would be ~$3000 if no frame work is required.

He said that if no frame work is needed I could hammer out the sheet metal in front of the strut tower to fit replacement parts which I can get from the wrecking yard.

Tomarrow the insurance adjuster is comming to look and decide if they are totaling the car.

After that I will take it to an alignment shop to see if it aligns. If so I will start looking for sheet metal from the wrecking yards.

Now I could use some help from someone with an early e36 325i, preferably 4 door sedan. I would like the measurement along a line perpendicular to the intake manifold to the stud on the strut tower closest to the manifold. Pictures of that area will be useful as well.

Thanks,

Phil
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so far it's all good news !!

let me know if you want pics of a 2 door convertible, and let me know about the wheels.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

PJK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I am not sure if the diminsions of the convertable are the same as the four door but a shot of the strut tower and manifold with the air duct will be useful. Also the dimension from the bolt on the tower to the manifold will be useful.

The insurance guy hasn't shown yet, but I am guessing I will want at least one wheel. Can the shipping be less than what a wrecking yard will sell me one for? I'll call a wrecker today and get that price.

After the insurance guy gets here I'll give the update.

Phil

walshja wrote:
so far it's all good news !!

let me know if you want pics of a 2 door convertible, and let me know about the wheels.
mmaldin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 3/8 to center of closest strut mount stud. PM sent
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil...Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. You'll sort the rest out.
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

That is close to what I am measuring. Maybe this car is not bent up as bad as I feared.
Thanks for doing the measurement.

Phil

mmaldin wrote:
9 3/8 to center of closest strut mount stud. PM sent
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henry.

Phil
Henry wrote:
Phil...Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. You'll sort the rest out.
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Progress report. Reply with quote

Yesterday I had the alignment done. It did align so it appears that no frame work is required. I still have an angry "baby killer". Peake does not include the airbag stuff in their normal code reader so I have to go to a shop to get that sorted. I'm guessing that some "electrical event" during the accident set the fault. I had a bunch of engine faults after the accident but they cleared with the Peake.

Today I'm picking up a bumper and a wheel. I have my old headlights so at least the car should be legal by tonight.

The insurance guy came Monday. He is 99% sure they will declare it a total. I'm still not real sure of the total implications of that. He thinks I will have to surender the registration, which of course means I can't drive it untill it is "born again". I suppose having "salvage" on the title is not a big deal for a car which on a good day isn't worth more than $3500.

Michael, I think I sent you a PM of my e-mail. I can't find the evidence of it going but I don't want to fill your PM folder. I have made two attempts. If it didn't go through let me know.

Phil
mmaldin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics sent. Sorry I wasn't around today to send them sooner.
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

This morning I got the baby killer cleared. The code reader said there was one sensor contact. One wonders why the thing did not go off if there was a contact. In this case it was good that it did not go off as I was spun back on the road, awake and adrenelin charged. I managed to get control of the car and get it off the road. Several years ago I detonated my old air bag (high resistance fault) and that experience convinced me that I wound not be controling a car for a good bit if time if one of those things went off in my face. See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsolCATAwDg

I am scared of not having a working air bag and I am scared of a working one going off in my face.

Someone needs to invent something sensible to replace these things.

Phil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: