Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London. UK members - the odd request

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: London. UK members - the odd request Reply with quote

I drive an 86 535i.

I know this is not strictly car - related, but I thought I might give it a go ...

You see, we have been frustrated at every turn by our inability to buy our favourite teas at reasonable cost, primarily due to Fortnum and Mason's shipping charges being exorbitant compared to the real cost of shipping, and to the value of the product shipped. They say their charge of 30GBP ($50) to send a 250 gram pack of tea (that's about 9 ounces, for around $12) are reasonable and non-negotiable.

Their stated position:
"Our shipping charges are based on courier prices rather than the straight forward carriage costs one would experience by simply using a local post office. We adhere to the prices charged by our courier and those prices reflect all the necessary import and export costs, costs in raising paperwork for Customs and sundry administration costs. (However Customs Duties can be charged in addition.)"

SOOOOoooo, 'Plan B' -

Is there a member in London, UK, who might be passing 181 Picadilly Circus one day, and be willing to stop in, snag a couple of packs of loose tea for us, and ship it back here to me in the US of A? That incident in Boston Harbour some centuries ago (they called it a 'Tea Party'?) was not my idea; I am a big fan of the particular Fortnum's blend they call Earl Grey Classic, and would like to try a few others in 50g sample sizes. I find it impossible to obtain this outside London. But if 'Carriage Fees' of thirty British pounds are not affordable, then round trip airfare to Heathrow would be out of the question.

Anyone in the UK who is willing, please email me to express interest in negotiating an arrangement and for the details.

Yours faithfully,

Andy (the tail light guy)
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
MisterFixit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: TEA- Found, delivery expected! Reply with quote

Just FYI to all, I have found a source for the tea we want, and am expecting delivery of a kilo in about a week or ten days. Fast by any measure!!!

Thanks, Andy
Headlight protection keeps your 'eyes' from being punched out.
idanity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont be surprised if a few blacked out SUV's come rolling in hot on delivery day....with the word 'kilo' and 'delivery' and the base 'smuggle' tone...it might be worth it to have a neighbor house-sit for you, while you watch from their house...

but all humor aside, that is the most unusual request ive ever heard of. coincidentally, i have a few co-workers going to London and Cambridge all next week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Lounge All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: