Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cant get doors open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitdog

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Cant get doors open Reply with quote

My son got home from college and said he was having problems with his door handle. I went to look at it and now neither of the doors open on my 94 325is. Used the key and can hear the locks unlock, but the door handles will not open the door...on either side. The trunk is open. Is it the central locking system. I know both door handles did not go bad at the same time.

Where is the central lock system and how do I get in the car? I have not looked in the Bentley yet for the answer.

Whitdog
PJK

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Cant get doors open Reply with quote

If you can hear the locks lock and unlock and if you can lock and unlock the trunk via the door locks cylinders it is highly unlikely that the issue is the central locking system. I am pretty sure that on an e36 you can lock and unlock each door with no electrics working. You may have to resort to having a BMW tech or locksmith get you into the car then remove the door panels and check out the latch mechanisms.

I think it is odd that both door should fail at the same time.

Phil

Whitdog wrote:
My son got home from college and said he was having problems with his door handle. I went to look at it and now neither of the doors open on my 94 325is. Used the key and can hear the locks unlock, but the door handles will not open the door...on either side. The trunk is open. Is it the central locking system. I know both door handles did not go bad at the same time.

Where is the central lock system and how do I get in the car? I have not looked in the Bentley yet for the answer.

Whitdog
Whitdog

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got into the car. The passenger side finally opened. The car is in the garage with the windows down so I can get into it. Both door handles are working fine now. I have locked and unlocked them fifty or sixty times and no problems. It has to be something electrical...just a hunch. I am afraid to let him drive it and then not be able to get in. I have looked at the Bentley and there is not much on it. I may try to go down to the dealer and see if they have an idea.

I will keep everyone informed. I am thinking it may be the actuators causing the problem.....but both at the same time??????

Whitdog
killerbeem

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, to have them both go out at once really doesn't make sense, but then, stranger things have happened.

I am taking my doors apart this weekend on the driver side to work on my window, and while I'm in there, if I think of anything, I'll drop you a message.

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: