Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back on the board, bought an e36

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
killerbeem

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Back on the board, bought an e36 Reply with quote

Bought an e36 (1994 318i) today, mix between a project and daily driver.

I was on the e30 boards for 5 years, in and out.

I am going to be digging through the e36 boards to get some knowledge started, so any suggestions outside the norm would be great.

Project 1: Front end

Either my tie-rods, wheel hubs, or something else is causing a bit of a steering wheel "twitch" (side to side, like a wobble) while I drive.

I may end up taking this to a mechanic, only because of time constraints.

I have moved to Birmingham, so if anyone knows a good BMW shop, feel free to share?

MK
1984 325e - Rachel (Sold)
BMWCCA Member
Find me on Twitter: @mkilpatric
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
killerbeem

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Images of the new Bimmer Reply with quote

Here she is, in all her new Glory. AND, I only paid $2200 for the car, so I consider myself a bit lucky.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IcLelfDb_2SAmRTaNwyHoNlQp54h35Q0pkoVM7i4rG4?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6xeGNBwtY8xsVcXCtUaN49lQp54h35Q0pkoVM7i4rG4?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BFsTLef94byJo_qZeq7SytlQp54h35Q0pkoVM7i4rG4?feat=directlink

There are a few more pictures of the interior, etc coming.
BMWCCA Member
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PJK

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Images of the new Bimmer Reply with quote

I'm still not too smart with computers. These links did not come up as hyperlinks on my computer.

Phil

killerbeem wrote:
Here she is, in all her new Glory. AND, I only paid $2200 for the car, so I consider myself a bit lucky.

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IcLelfDb_2SAmRTaNwyHoNlQp54h35Q0pkoVM7i4rG4?feat=directlink[/img]

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6xeGNBwtY8xsVcXCtUaN49lQp54h35Q0pkoVM7i4rG4?feat=directlink[/img]

[img]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BFsTLef94byJo_qZeq7SytlQp54h35Q0pkoVM7i4rG4?feat=directlink[/img]

There are a few more pictures of the interior, etc coming.
idanity

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome back..
"congratulations on the 5 speed! woot! "
and don't worry, i got em for ya.

killerbeem

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks iDanity! I haven't used the BB for a while, had forgot the process.

Now to my frustration today, I have to replace the Tie Rods and Upper Control Arms, and for a local shop to do it, Bennette Motor Works, it's going to cost a bit of money, which I can handle, I would do it myself, but alas, I have tools to fix, but no place to work on it right now, nor the parts themselves available in town.

If I can find someone who could get the parts shipped and NOT have to go through Memphis to bring them here by tomorrow, I would just go to storage building for the weekend and get to work.

Ugh.

MK
BMWCCA Member
idanity

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say pelican or autohuas, and do it next weekend. but control arms are a pita, and dangerous too.

plus, if the shop gets it wrong, they'll fix it until its right...

you do know that the new bmws don't handle as well as the e30's right?...just sayin.
killerbeem

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and paid the shop, since I am in a temp housing situation.

Bought some new Bridgestone tires as well.

Now she almost drives like the machine she was built to be. I only have to replace my rear shocks (the front struts were Bilsteins) and shock mounts.

My interim project is to replace the blown AC compressor and Accumalator/ Drier. Found a rebuild on ebay, trying to see if the shop has the accumalator as well.

Lastly, interior. I will post some pictures soon, the previous owner ripped off some of the roof. Specifically the sunroof...

MK
BMWCCA Member
idanity

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i had my a/c blowing hot air, i took it in, and they fixed it all with a new dryer...the compressor was fine...it still had a half pound of freon too, but i needed another half pound, and the dryer works great...now..it blows at 27 degrees in traffic....i love german A/C (and freon)...

more pix...
o..and i might be inclined to sell my compresor out of my new(er) red car..if i keep that...i will lighten it up amap.
idanity

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and not to freak you out, but since you got an e36, you should read this link at least once...just to familiarize youself to what 'may' be...

hoping you got a Wednesday car. Laughing
killerbeem

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, she is driving great. Today, I did some little things:

1. Replaced lighter. The one that was in there was shot, so I got a cheap replacement.

2. Found a yard here in Bham, was able to to get a replacement window control arm (and free motor) for $25, since the previous owner had managed to BREAK the one in the car. I'll be putting it in tomorrow, as I have to drill out the old brads on the current window and the new one (I was able to pop it off the old door, they didn't care)

3. While there, I also got a new OBC that actually works. the displays are quite dim, so I researching how to correct that

4. The inside still has some work, have to replace the upholstery on the sunroof, the old owner ripped it out, started cleaning that mess.

5. Also replaced window side pieces (not sure what they are called) but on the driver side and rear driver side. The car I got the window control arm from had the same color interior, I am going to look for another one though, this one had a couple of broken clips, so they don't look the greatest.

6. Whoever owned the BMW before me did NOT respect his/ her car, as the driver side mirror was GLUED together, and electrical taped. At least it looked er, ok? I have the new mirror replacement, and will be mounting it tomorrow.

I will be adding pictures later.

Next, the A/C, because MAN it's hot.

MK

(PS, Idanity, appreciate all your insight, as usual!)
BMWCCA Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: