Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aux Fan blades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Aux Fan blades Reply with quote

Bambi jumped out in front of me. Along with some body work which I will need the blades on the electric fan cracked. BMW does not sell the fan blades. They want about $400 for it. Pelcon is a bit better but they are still spendy.

If someone has one with a dead motor for a decient price I can probably make one good unit.

Phil

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
mmaldin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with Bambi. I don't have a spare, but if you wind up having to buy a new one, check out these guys, http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/. They are a BMW dealer in Nebraska that sells OE parts at a nice discount. A quick search, not sure of your year though, showed list at $377 and net at $264. I have had good experiences with them and have found many OE parts for less than aftermarket prices.
Good luck,
Michael
PJK

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link. One more source of parts is a good thing.

On my way to the bay area I had some warm wether so I turned on the AC. The fan did not come apart and the balance seemed to be OK. With that in mind I started to repair the damage with heat welding, and J&B Weld. So far it is going OK. This fan just may last as long as the car.

Phil

mmaldin wrote:
Phil,
Sorry to hear of your misfortune with Bambi. I don't have a spare, but if you wind up having to buy a new one, check out these guys, http://www.bmwmercedesparts.com/. They are a BMW dealer in Nebraska that sells OE parts at a nice discount. A quick search, not sure of your year though, showed list at $377 and net at $264. I have had good experiences with them and have found many OE parts for less than aftermarket prices.
Good luck,
Michael
idanity

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds terrible.

at least balance out the fan....so an even number of blades are dispersed...oherwise you risk a quicker bearing failure (its just a matter of time on all bearings).

sad to hear about your bmw...makes me want to install bull horns on my hood
PJK

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Idanty,

All of the blades are still there. On one blade there was a crack between the outer edge and the ring which surrounds all the blades. Also part of that blade was missing.

Before I did anything I got the fan to run (turn on AC) and the balance seemed to be reasonable.

I heat welded the tip of the blade to the ring with a soldering iron. I don't know what the material of the blade is. I know it is not ABS since MEK won't soften it.

I figured the density of J&B weld has to be closer to what the blade is than nothing. I filled in part of the broken blade using tape and J&B weld.
There is still more to go but for the rest I'll have to make a pattern from one of the good blades and J&B weld it into place.

I haven't much to risk (other than wasted time) since I can only buy the fan as an assembly motor, bearings, and all.

I have a strobe tac which I bought from a seller on e-Bay. The seller showed me a link with instructions on balancing fans with it. When I get done I'll try the method on the BMW fan.

Phil

idanity wrote:
that sounds terrible.

at least balance out the fan....so an even number of blades are dispersed...oherwise you risk a quicker bearing failure (its just a matter of time on all bearings).

sad to hear about your bmw...makes me want to install bull horns on my hood
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: