Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Predicament between e34 and M20b27 engine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PMF

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Predicament between e34 and M20b27 engine. Reply with quote

I have an early e34 which was designed to run with an M20b25 engine. In attempting to find a replacement engine, I was inattentive (careless) and ended up with a 2.7 liter ETA motor.

The main plug in the harness looks as though it will fit -- they are both round, and of the same diameter (or rather, one will fit securely into the other). However, without knowing all the details, I'm concerned that the wiring harness that exists in my '89 e34 will not be complimentary with what is required for the 2.7 ETA motor.

Plus, I've never seen evidence, on any forum or in "real life," of this particular car/engine set-up. So I guess this is just a shot in the dark, but I'd like to ask someone obviously smarter than I if I've just made a bad mistake, or it there is anything I can do to make this particular car and motor combination operate decently without a MAJOR rebuild.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's doubtful that this combination will work, since, as you stated, there never was a 2.7 liter eta engine in the E34, at least not in North America. The engine control computer would therefore not know about that engine, and how to run it.

Even if you could get it to work, you would probably be disappointed in the performance of the eta engine, since it's a low-revving unit.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
honey123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems like you’re going to pay for your carelessness!! It is so important that we check all the requirements when we buy new engine to see if they suit our motor!! I don’t think there are any “short cuts” to see through this problem and the only way out is to buy a new engine!!
Rachana

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: 5 Series Forum Reply with quote

The main plug in the harness looks as though it will fit -- they are both round, and of the same diameter (or rather, one will fit securely into the other). However, without knowing all the details, I'm concerned that the wiring harness that exists in my '89 e34 will not be complimentary with what is required for the 2.7 ETA motor.
Regards,
Used Cars Sale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: