Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Heat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BMW F1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: No Heat Reply with quote

I got a 1996 BMW 318i,, its got 251,000kms,,runs well,,, Live in TORONTO and its cold now,,,I got no heat yeaterday,, BLower fan runs,,I got Rad fluid,,,temperature up all the way,,,,,I went out this morning to go to work and still no heat,,,noticed Temerature guage leaning more to the RED zone when idling at Stop lights,,,goes to the normal position slowly when I start driving,,

I replaced thermostate 3 years ago beacuse housing cracked,,and original owner replaced water pump at 80,000kms,,

Any suggestions to solve this ?? HELP,,its cold uop here
walshja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the first thing you should do is make sure your system is properly bled. having air in your system will first effect your heat.

remove the cap from the expansion tank, and remove the bleeder screw which is a plastic screw to the right of the expansion tank cap. the bleeder screw looks like a plus sign and is plastic. it's maybe 1/2 inch long when removed and maybe 1/2 inch wide. just look for a screw with the cross mark or plus sign and unscrew and remove it.

turn your key on, but don't start the engine, and turn your heater temperature all the way to hot, this will open up the valve to your heater core.

now slowly start filling your expansion tank. coolant will bubble out of the bleeder screw, keep filling the expansion tank until only coolant comes out of the bleeder screw hole, no bubbles. you will spill some coolant doing this, so put a towel under the car to minimize the mess. you can also massage your coolant hoses, trying to get all the air out of your system when doing this.

close everything up, drive the car to temperature, and repeat this process until you cannot get any more coolant into the system. some people say you can raise the front end of your car to make the job easier, but I never had to do that with my car.

give that a shot, then report back.

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

BMW F1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi walshja,,,,, WOW ,,,YOu were right,,,were you ever,,,,I rechecked the Rad and it was a bit low,,, but thats becuase the system was full of air,,

I kept topping up the Rad and it just kept sucking it in,,,,finally got it Bled and I got heat now,,, the question is how did all that air get into the systme and where did the Rad fluid go??,,, I hope its not getting into the Engine via the headgasket!!!!,,,

But I noticed something interesting,,,when I closed up everything, I noticed a little bit steam coming out from underneath the Fan Shroud,,,I guess thats where the leak is,,, loosing rad fluid there and possibly sucking in air when engine cools down,,,,,

Anymore great suggestions???

I'll keep this updated til I find problem,,,Hey thanks again!!
walshja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the weak point on our cars cooling system is the plastic neck on the right side of the radiator, it usually crack into 2 pieces, I've been through 2 already. but it doesn't sound like this is your problem since you are seeing steam come from under the shroud.

I think there is a hose that goes under the fan shroud, and on top of the radiator, maybe that cracked or has a pin hole leak. I would remove the fan shroud and take a look. I think there are 2 or 3 screws holding it in.

in the meantime, each time before you start the car quickly add some coolant, that will keep you operating until this is resolved.

the cooling system on these cars are as simple as they get, so don't be afraid to jump in and take a look.

glad you are getting close to finding the problem !!

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: