Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

abs light and RED brake light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Vollenweider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: abs light and RED brake light Reply with quote

My red brkae light comes on occasionally while driving.
The ABS light also comes on at times, but seems to go out when I restart vehicle . It has been on for two days now and I must manually shift vehicle for it to shift into 5th gear. The weather seems to make the lights come on, when it rains in the past.

I did change shift selector switch for a different problem when it rained and it fixed that problem 100%. The is something new.
1997 528i

Any help will be appreciated,
John

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
totallytea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: abs and brake light Reply with quote

I also have a 1997 528i with the same problems except I have to shift it manually from first all the way through and my lights stay on. I was told to check the wiring in the rear passenger wheel well. I have been driving my car this way for about a year now. I have the actual program that BMW currently uses to diagnose and repair and everything it states is to check and repair any wiring then reprogram it. Of course I don't have the equipment to reprogram so it looks like it needs to go to a shop to be fixed either way you look at it.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to your owner's manual, it could be that the brake pads are worn down, OR the brake fluid is low.

I have observed that, in wet weather, the wear sensors can sometimes show a false indication. If your pads are not worn down, try replacing the sensors.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
totallytea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you fixed this problem or not, but I finally figured out what it is. In the drivers side front wheel well above the strut there is a rectangle box. The wires from there to a sensor behind the wheel were broken. I stripped the wire back and resoldered them. There is a red wire and a yellow wire. After I put it all back together my ABS, traction control and brake lights all went out and the car is now shifting automatically! My wires were broken close to the sensor so I don't expect it to hold long. I am looking for a new sensor for it. I hope this info helps.[size=18][/size]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: