Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BMW Newby Looking at 92 535i w/5sp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrJomamachubby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: BMW Newby Looking at 92 535i w/5sp Reply with quote

Howdy all! I just found out that I'm no longer entitled to a company car - knew this was coming for a while - and I'm in the market for a DD. I've decided after 8 years of boring Tauruses and Luminas that I want something interesting. I really like the E34's looks and there seem to be a lot of 5 speeds available on craigslist, which is a must. Today I took a quick spin in a '92 535i with 5 speed and was hoping a guru or two would chime in and let me know if I should deal or run away. I've read a lot and looked the car over closely and I've noticed a few issues that seem minor-ish to me but maybe they are more serious.

First, the good:
    * 165k miles
    * Decent paint w/only one or two rust bubbles
    * Solid clutch
    * Valve train looks clean - some varnish but no sludge
    * All rubber parts seem solid, no dry rot
    * Interior is worn and frayed a little but still usable
    * Engine and trans seem strong, no noises or complaints, no sign of blowby, all gears work well
    * No major handling issues noticed, though see below
    * Sunroof

Now the bad:
    * Wipers work but rest/off position is at about 2 o'clock and when on they go down and then back up to make the full stroke before coming back to the too high spot
    * Driver's outside door handle is missing the trim piece and hard to shut, probably jimmied at some point
    * Temp gauge just barely registered, either broken or needs new t-stat
    * HVAC blower howls and it needs the resistor board replaced, only works on high
    * Tracks okay but every so often it will dart/wander
    * Both front doors sag slightly, noticeable at panel gap
    * Driver's computer blank/dead
    * Tires are brand new but cheap Dunlops
    * M badges added to rear deck lid and front seat headrests
    * Erratic idle
    * Supposedly the brakes are new but the pedal seems a little low and a little soft, stops fine so could be my imagination
    * Intermittent Check Engine light on sometimes at idle and moderate throttle, off at cruise and light accel
    * Slight bang/thump from rear when I jerked a shift in 1st gear, not sure if this is backlash or normal

They're asking $1950 for it, which seems like a fair enough price but that won't stop me from haggling. The two things that really worry me are the occasional wandering from the front, the thump from the rear and the Check Engine light. I'd also really like to have a working Driver's Computer, wipers that park where they should and a blower that doesn't howl or have to be run on full but those aren't deal breakers.

So, what does everyone think? Is this a good find with several issues that can be fixed without too much trouble or investment or should I keep shopping?
edjack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a Beater to me. Get an extensive mechanical inspection from a BMW indie before you make an offer.

This car is 19 years old. ANY car this old, living in Chicago winter salt, is dicey, at best, and may have serious structural issues.

It will require a pretty extensive infusion of funds if you want it to be a DD. A real plus is if you plan to DIY. Otherwise, it will cost Big Bucks to keep it running.

OTOH, the M30 engine, if properly cared for (important caveat), is bulletproof.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
DrJomamachubby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost always do my own work, anything that can be done with hand tools and a jack or ramps I'm okay with. I'm told that the temp gauge not registering could easily be a dead water pump which could mean a history of overheating. I'm still on the fence with this one but a manual e34 - especially 535i - seems to be rare. This car has been on cl for at least two months so nobody else is interested. I might wait till the middle or end of next week and call and see if they'll take $1000.
edjack

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suspect that the temp sending unit is bad. Does the engine heat up to normal temp? If not, probably needs a new t-stat.

The front end wander is probably due to bushings. Ditto rear noise, although the Guibo may be split: that's the big rubber donut on the trans output shaft.

Be sure and buy a copy of the Bentley E34 service manual.

Find a couple of E34-specific forums for more info.

You are correct - very rare to find an E34 5-speed with the 3.5 liter engine.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
DrJomamachubby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a 94 530i home today. I'll post pics when the weather clears.

"bright red" with "parchment" interior 146k miles, 5 speed, needs valve cover gaskets ASAP but otherwise in pretty good condition - $2,000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: