Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need Repair Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martyn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Need Repair Advice Reply with quote

I have a 2003 540 that I bought just about 2 years ago. I am the second owner and when I bought it, it had just 37,000 miles and today has about 67,600 miles on it. Since I bought it from a wholesaler, I take it to a privately owned import motors shop he recommended and have been very happy with them. Other than oil changes and tire rotations, there have only been very minor repairs required in the two years I have had it.

Last week, I hit a large pot hole, and the car needed to be towed due to a severely bent wheel. To my surprise, in addition to the wheel, this mechanic now said "oh by the way, here is a list of other things that need to be fixed on your car" to the total of about $4,000. This car drives and runs perfectly, even after the wheel repair. I am not a mechanic, and was hoping I could get some feedback on some of the more costly items listed:

1) Upper timing chain cover gaskets leaking oil: parts and 9 hours labor (@ $90 per hour) total is $1,013.

2) Valley pan and water pump leaking coolant: parts and 7.5 hours labor total is $1,113. (Since I first bought the car, I occasionally get a "check coolant level" warning. On 2 or 3 occasions, I had this mechanic check and he could never find a leak. The car has never overheated or been low on coolant in the radiator, nor has there been any fluid recently on my garage floor)

3) Thrust arm bushings worn out and should replace whole arms. Price for 2 control arms and 2 thrust arms plus labor is $1,351.

Again, I have had my car in for regular service with this same mechanic and he has never suggested anything needing to be serviced. To all of a sudden suggest I need $4,000 worth of repairs (I only paid $17k for the car) seems excessive to me. It seems like I should notice some issues with the car if that is the case.

I would appreciate any advice or recommendations as to checking out the legitimacy of these repairs.

Thanks.
edjack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all typical maladies for the E39 V8; however, the suspension repair is unusual for this mileage, unless you live where the roads are really bad, and pound the suspension. The other items typically don't show up this soon, either.

The upper timing case leak, unless excessive, is just annoying, and a little messy. Mine leak, but it's only a couple of drops a night (I have removed my "skid plate"). The timing case gasket job, as well as the valley pan, are rather involved.

So far, I've not noticed the valley pan leaking.

The cooling system on these cars is weak. Mike Miller, Tech Advisor for Roundel and Bimmer magazines, recommends a cooling system overhaul in the 60-to 90k range. My expansion tank failed at 88k, so I replaced the water pump, radiator, tank, hoses, and tensioners. I'm at 120k now: so far, so good. I'm blessed with the automotive mechanical skills to do this work myself.

You could try another shop for a second quote: www.bimrs.org

I'm surprised the shop only "discovered" these repairs at this time. He must have a boat payment coming due!

Sadly, these are not cheap cars to maintain, esp if you need to farm the work out. You need to decide when to sell, versus repair. Bear in mind that the basic car is very sound, and the V8 is very stout. Many owners lament that this is the last, best model 5-series.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
martyn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edjack, thanks very much for the reply. That helps a lot. I absolutely love the car, but even at it's low mileage and great condition, my best guess is it's value is about $12-13,000, so sinking $4,000 into it gives me pause. (it also needs a new starter, which I didn't list because the noise it is making make it legit in my mind)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: