Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

e36 Foglights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: e36 Foglights Reply with quote

If you have foglights in your e36 you little doubt have been agraveted by stone damage to them. When my lenses broke I found some plastic replacements on line. I replaced the glass fragments with the plastic lenses with a whole lot of bloodshed. Those glass shards are nasty.
The plastic fared a bit better aganst the stones but did crack from the stones in addition to micro cracks from the heat of the bulb.

I found these things on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380247661110&_trksid=p2759.l1259

I figured the small lens would ststisticly do better against the stones.
I have installed them and now they are working and producing a deceint fog light pattern however it was with considerable effort.

First of all the brackets are copies of the OEM part, but flimsey peices of crap. The lights were not heald in a rigid position. Also the range of adjustment was not sufficient to get the pattern high enough to be useful.

I went back to the OEM brackets. That solved the ridigity problem but the pattern was still way to low to be useful. I had to remove the screws securing the projector assembly to the plastic trim and point the lights up a bit. I then secured the projectors to the trim with RTV.

There was also stray light above the cutoff line. I found that to be caused by a gap between the shield which defines the pattern and the housing. To fix that I J&B welded a bit of aluminum foil to the back of the shield to close the gap.

The bulbs are H-3 instead of the OEM H-1s.

Its a way to get decient fogs at a decient price, but the effort was over the top.

It could be a different eBay vender may have something similar which will drop in and work but I fear all this boy racer crap will be of similar quality.

Phil
walshja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Phil

when I was commuting to work, seemed like I was cracking a set a year, very expensive and frustrating. I stopped buying BMW replacement after the first couple of times, much too expensive. Since I went aftermarket, I have not yet had a breakage, and its been years.

I found a cheap pair on eBay, not sure of the manufacturer, but they have a clear lense, and I was able to use the stock bracket as you described. Looks more boy racer than I would like, but they work and have not broke !

If my mine ever break again I'll go with the type you now have, as it will match the projector headlights I installed a few years ago.

Clever fix you used on with the J&B weld and aluminum foil !!

stock bulbs are H1?? I thought they were 9004 or 9005, or something like that??

1994 325iC, 195k miles
http://home.comcast.net/~walshja/index.html <--- check it out

PJK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

I believe the 9004 and 9005 are for the USA headlights. My OEM fogs used H1s. My euro Hella projector headlights also take H1s. It was nice to have one spare bulb in the glovebox for all the front lights.

Phil
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had contacted the eBay seller about the issues. I just got a reply. They will speak to the vendor about the issues. They offered me a $15 refund if I want to keep the product or my money back if I return it.

Since it is installed with my fixes and working well I thanked them for the $15 and I'm keeping the lights.

Mayby the vendor will fix the proplems so future lamps can be installed without agravation.

Phil
mmaldin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to replace at least one fog light a year. In the winter here in CO they mostly use sand on the roads instead of salt. It really damages the nose of the car and the windshield. I had my front repainted about 8 years ago and had a clear bra applied to the paint and had the clear bra material put on the headlights and fog lights too. No breakage or pitting since. Still need a windshield a year.
PJK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hella projector headlights and I lost a glass lens to a rock. I installed some plastic peel and stick plastic covers on them. At first they looked OK and didn't seem to hurt the light too much. Now they are starting to seperate so they are getting a bit unsightly. Also I think I am losing some light. I would like to repace them. If your stuff is working out could you tell me the source.

Phil

mmaldin wrote:
I used to replace at least one fog light a year. In the winter here in CO they mostly use sand on the roads instead of salt. It really damages the nose of the car and the windshield. I had my front repainted about 8 years ago and had a clear bra applied to the paint and had the clear bra material put on the headlights and fog lights too. No breakage or pitting since. Still need a windshield a year.
mmaldin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used 3M clear Bra. It is a peel and stick film that has worked well for me to protect the glass fog lights and my plastic headlights for the past 8 years. I just looked at some that I have in the garage. It has the 3M logo imprinted every few inches on the backing. I purchased it by the foot from an internet vendor as well as had the same professionally installed on the paint. Couldn't find the vendor I used, its been a while, but lots of sources on line. BTW, i may recall that it's 'not approved' for application to light lenses, but I have not seen any light degradation or discoloration of the film. The installer I used told me it was developed by 3m during the first Gulf War to stop pitting of the glass on Humvee's.
PJK

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael,

Thanks. I'll do an internet search for this stuff. What I have can't be long for this world.

Phil

mmaldin wrote:
I used 3M clear Bra. It is a peel and stick film that has worked well for me to protect the glass fog lights and my plastic headlights for the past 8 years. I just looked at some that I have in the garage. It has the 3M logo imprinted every few inches on the backing. I purchased it by the foot from an internet vendor as well as had the same professionally installed on the paint. Couldn't find the vendor I used, its been a while, but lots of sources on line. BTW, i may recall that it's 'not approved' for application to light lenses, but I have not seen any light degradation or discoloration of the film. The installer I used told me it was developed by 3m during the first Gulf War to stop pitting of the glass on Humvee's.
SSRat022

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Front Fogs Reply with quote

Hi all. Just got my first 1996 BMW 318i convertible and its a lovely car but the front fogs dont work. The dash light comes on but not the fogs themselves. I have checked the fuses under the bonnet (hood) and they are all OK. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
PJK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Fogs Reply with quote

Have you checked the bulbs? Don't follow what the owners manual says to remove the fogs or you will break them. Look under the car and you will find a small lever on each fog lamp. There is a V-groove at the end of the lever. Put the tip of a screwdriver in the groove and push. The lamp assembly will pop out.

The stock lamp takes H-1 bulbs. Do not touch the glass part of the bulb.

Phil

SSRat022 wrote:
Hi all. Just got my first 1996 BMW 318i convertible and its a lovely car but the front fogs dont work. The dash light comes on but not the fogs themselves. I have checked the fuses under the bonnet (hood) and they are all OK. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E36 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: