Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right side net

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dale

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Right side net Reply with quote

Article from Greg Miller on installing a Right Side Net

==================

That led me to figure out a way to fasten it to the dash,
short of removing the dash, heater and installing a cross bar (the proper way I suppose)

I ended up making a bracket that fit over the steering column behind the instrument cluster and another bracket that attaches to the front battery tray.

One 1/2 inch iron pipe goes from the steering bracket, behind the factory switch assembly below the center dash vent, and it intersects a 1/2 in pipe coming from the battery tray. A center tab on that pipe attaches to a bracket above the old glove box.

Behind the 3rd switch hole a 4" long pipe nipple welds to the cross pipe and has a 3/8 - 18 rod coupler welded inside the end, the nipple extends toward the switch opening.

I installed a 3/8 - 18 eye bolt with welded closed eye and jam nut in through the switch hole into that nipple. (approx 4200 lb working load rated)

There may be better ways to do it but it seems to be plenty solid with a minimum of (2) 1/4 Gr8 bolts(approx 3800 lbs shear each) having to shear in any one location to pull it loose.

The hammer test says it resonates at the same frequency as the roll cage.

Now I just need a test dummy Smile oh wait, that's me!

Mine was a 17 hour build, 10 hours of head scratching, 1 hour to get parts, 1 hour fab, 5 hours to refab again and again.

Safety Solutions Install instructions:
http://www.apexperformance.net/CartGenie/SafetySolutions%20Driver%20Net%20Install.pdf

Dale
sold in 2016
87 325 5spd eta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> Racing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: