Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1991 325i I bought on April 30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 Member Cars

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr8acclaim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: 1991 325i I bought on April 30 Reply with quote

Hey folks! Here's the pics I have of the car I bought at the end of April. I realize they're small and low-res and weenie, but they're all I have for now. They are also pics that were in the actual Craig's List listing.

I'm likely to add more later if things work out with the weather -- it has rained almost every day this summer, I swear! Not that anything taken with my cheap-o camera will be much better really...

Since I have gotten the car, I have:

1) Replaced the center grill, which was broken and epoxyed in place, with a new black one that I got cheap off eBay.

2) Replaced the odometer gears and made that work right again.

3) The original bronze paint on the mirrors was all splotchy and ugly, and one motor was fried, but I found a pair of PERFECT black ones in the local scrap yard. They might not look right on most non-black cars, but they blend in pretty well with the super dark window tint.

4) Totally removed the CRAZY wiring job someone did on radio, and basically re-hooked-up the original radio wiring (minus the amp which was dead).

5) As you can see, the wipers parked in the wrong spot. They also didn't travel as far as marks on the window indicated they used to. Turned out the whole mechanism was basically held together with zip ties and wallered out screw holes. Replaced the motor and the mechanicals on 6-23 and everything works A-OK now, though I do need some new blades.

6) Replaced blower for heater / AC system on 6-23 as well. $20 total both the blower and the wiper system from the scrap yard.

In the works is the following:

1) Front suspension rebuild because the strut cartridges are pretty much shot.

2) Figure out issues with electric radiator fan.

3) I have some feelers out for a cooler euro instrument panel.

4) Hood is slightly curled under in the front where someone bumped something (that's where the grill was broken too). I managed to straighten it for the most part, but now it has some mysterious plier marks in it... Embarassed It's still ugly but it won't get changed unless I find a hood with the same color for SUPER cheap... Pretty is nice, but honestly it is lower on my list of priorities than it is for a lot of other folks. Pretty also tends to be expensive and I can't paint worth a cr@p! Razz

5+) Other odds and ends that I discover along the way, and whatever I break fixing this stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E30 Member Cars All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: