Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW *used* 540i manual sixspeed !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
idanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: NEW *used* 540i manual sixspeed ! Reply with quote

well, my g.f. asks me to help her buy a new car, and we look at a lot of bmws, hondas, etc. and i find this 2002, bmw, 540i sixspeed manual, that looks the best.

all fluids are correct (blue coolant, red p.s.fluid, no burning under the oil cap) and we drive it...wholy boly..nice..

we go back the next day to buy it, and we take it out, drive it back to her house *(this was the 3rd day btw, of me completely helping her find this) and i say, "wish i could finish up my clutch job on my 3series",

so,
she hands me the keys, and says, "thank you, and i want you to drive it a while, since you know how to drive it better"...

omg.
so, i do.
and yes, its cherry

dash display was replaced around 72k, and its on 82k miles now. (and some pixels are going out)

valve cover gaskets and covers were replaced @ 50k

water pump and other stuff replaced at 72k

all dealer/ bmw service done (info from dealer, not seller)

my questions are
is the display still under warranty, can we just drive up to bmw dealer and show them some dead pixels and they will replace it ??

and

the only maintenence i want to do, is
- new shocks
-new clutch (seems fine, pulls very hard, but what is the life on this)
- short shifter
-lightened flywheel (is not necessary, but if i do the clutch, why not ??)
edjack

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She WANTS a manual trans??? Amazing, marry her.

Clutch can last 150k, or longer, if driven properly, and the clutch delay valve is removed. I have 116k on mine, and it doesn't slip.

If you do replace the flywheel, be advised that there have been reports of objectionable transmission noise, in neutral, with the clutch engaged. That's what the dual-mass flywheel damps out.

Pixel repair is dependent on the graces of BMW NA. Since it's been replaced already, you may have trouble getting it done. You'll need to petition them directly.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
idanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edjack wrote:
She WANTS a manual trans??? Amazing, marry her.

Clutch can last 150k, or longer, if driven properly, and the clutch delay valve is removed. I have 116k on mine, and it doesn't slip.

If you do replace the flywheel, be advised that there have been reports of objectionable transmission noise, in neutral, with the clutch engaged. That's what the dual-mass flywheel damps out.

Pixel repair is dependent on the graces of BMW NA. Since it's been replaced already, you may have trouble getting it done. You'll need to petition them directly.

thanks

and please
tell me more of this "clutch delay".
after 3 hours of teaching tonight, (now good enough to start on a steep hill w/out any rolling backwards (and not using the e-brake either)..

i ask especially about this clutch delay, b/c the car can leave rubber on the pavement, but on the freeway, (again after 3 hours of torture) i was trying to speed up, and the rpms raised, yet we didn't go faster .

this (imo) is burning, or basically slippage. (prolly not oil, just hot) ?
and

if it got hot, and glazed, can i drive it back to normal ?
thanks

Daniel
edjack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CDV is a device in line with the clutch slave cylinder. It is in there to limit the rate at which the clutch engages, even if you sidestep the pedal. From your description, the clutch is slipping, and needs to be replaced. Sounds like the PO abused the car.

"prolly", what's "prolly"?

idanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im bummed.

one of the brothers that bought this car doesn't want it b/c he is afraid of stalling at a red light.

they drove it twice in 3 weeks.
about `1 hour each. and they do have the ability to start on an incline.

1 has driven on the freeway already and he has the most trouble w/stalling (for whatever reason), and he wants to keep it.

the one that rarely stalls it, is afraid of it.

terrible shame ,
i wish i could buy it.
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. You originally said that the car was for your girlfriend.

Why is he afraid of the car? Does he now drive an old, worn-out Honda with an auto trans? The 540 is not exactly a pavement-ripper; there are many more cars on the street with much more power.

idanity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its family related.

they are all buying it
they will all drive it too...and yes, between them now, they have a 2005 honda, a 98 toyota and a wrecekd 03 acura (from the brother that is afraid of it. said he gets confused on what brake and gas pedals do" ... i said "well, maybe you shouldn't drive at all then"
and whatever.
he already crashed the acura, and literally lost control of the car, and went 90degrees across the 405 freeway, heading towards the cement wall, was t-boned by a mercedes.

this was clearly out of control, and the manual trans would help with focus and control but he doesnt want to learn it.

i tried to teach my g.f. in my 88 4x4 and my e30, both ended in tears
said she was breaking my cars.
i have no idea why, it wasnt a big deal, just way too complicated for some people, i dont understand it.
its not magic
it does take will to learn though..

so.
yes, automatic lifestyles breed incompetience.
and maybe its best that way.

now they want me to sell it for them too.
maybe i should sell my e30 and buy this one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: