Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2003 540i Brake Fluid Flush

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
raywiebe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: 2003 540i Brake Fluid Flush Reply with quote

I'm planning to flush the brake fluid on my 03 540i in a few days (96,000 kms), I've got the BavAuto Pressurized Brake Bleeding Bottle/Kit; the Bentley manual says that a ODB II needs to be connected during the flushing process, is it an absolute requirement or if I'm careful (by keeping the fluid reservoir topped up) can I get away with out one? Anybody have any experience with this situation?
Thanks, Ray
edjack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've flushed mine a couple of times.

I sometimes worry that the ABS pump is not cycled, but, the rest of the system gets new fluid, so it's not that bad.

Go ahead and flush.

I, too, have the BavAuto bleeder. Works great. As Griot says, "Have fun in your garage."

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
raywiebe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ed, the fluid change w/ the bleeder kit worked slick, also changed the belts (needed to be done), changed the fuel filter (cut it open, original one, needed to be done), spark plugs (at 97K klms) still in very good condition, could of stayed in but changed anyway, changed trans oil and filter (very dirty, needed to be done, will do again in spring to get most of it out), diff oil (still looked very good). Will do the coolant in the spring.
Here's the little issue, we pulled the fuel pump fuse to relieve the fuel pressure before doing the filter, then after changing, the initial start up took a bit of cranking before firing up, understandable, however it still seems to take longer to fire up ever since, any particular reason that you might know of? I'm pretty sure it's the original battery so it might be on its last legs but have never had an issue with it. I haven't hooked up an OBDII reader yet but will in the next few days to see if there are any fault codes. Any thoughts what would cause the slow start up?
Thanks
edjack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, other than the fact that your filter has the integral fuel pressure regulator. If you didn't use an OEM filter, that may be the problem.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: