Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Coolin fan, water pump problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lkrides

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Coolin fan, water pump problem Reply with quote

My wife told me that when she started her 2001 330XI E46 she heard loud clunking noises. I had her start the car and I can see the cooling fan is wobbling severely and banging something. The shaft that the fan is attached to is clearly wobbling. My first thought is “oh my god, please don’t let it be severe engine trouble (It’s new to us)”. I thought that the shaft may go in to the engine block. I’ve since searched the forum and it appears the fan attaches to the water pump and the water pump is the likely problem. So I ask….
1. Does the fan bolt to the water pump?
2. Can someone give me a summary of how tough of a replacement this would be for a good DIY’er like myself.
3. Or how much I would pay for a pro to do it.

Thank you very much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: