Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1998 E39 transmission trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cybernicus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: 1998 E39 transmission trouble Reply with quote

So I've read about various trans issues with the E39 and the "lifetime" transmissions that aren't...

I'm having a weird issue and not sure what to make of it, so I thought I'd see if any of y'all have dealt with this one...

Car has 137K miles. No major problems to date. Noticed when driving that it was acting almost like a stick, a bit herky-jerky when my daughter drove it. Next time I came out, it would shift into gear, but when applying gas nothing happens.

Mechanic opened up the tranny and said the fluid was dirty so they flushed it. Car drove fine for about a day. Then, mid-day, while running errands, went out to get back home and same thing. Shifting but no power in any gear.

It's now back at the mechanic.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of issue before? Any help out there?

Todd Robinson
'98 528iA

"Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
edjack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few reports on another forum, that, when an older trans has been power-flushed, chunks of dirt get loosened up, and block the passages. This has not been substantiated.

Take it back to the place that did the flush.

How many times, over the life of the car, has the trans fluid been changed? If never, the trans may be at the end of its life: the fluid is not "lifetime", unless you count the life of the trans.

Ed BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319).
'97 540i 6 speed Aspensilber over Aubergine interior.
cybernicus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

I think I've had it done twice since i bought it. I don't know what the prior owner did in the first 80K miles. It was acting up before the fluid flushing, and that seemed to make it better for a short time. Thanks for your reply!

Todd Robinson
'98 528iA

"Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together."
cybernicus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked our records, and it does not appear it was done since we bought it at about 80k miles when I had a major servicing done. So that's 57K miles. You think that's what killed it?

Todd Robinson
'98 528iA

edjack

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. Mike Miller, Tech Editor for Bimmer and Roundel magazines, has observed that BMW auto transmissions die at between 80-120k.

cybernicus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...that's what it was. Mechanic pulled it apart and it was pretty unpleasant in there....like it just ate itself.

Found a used tranny at everdrive.com. Asked around, looked for consumer feedback, and it looked like a decent place. E39 tranny (97-03/9Cool for $1699 shipped.

Prompt delivery, 3 year warranty, my mechanic put it in, and I'm back on the road. Yeah, I understand that this one could still go out after xxx miles...but I can take the risk and do this TWICE still for cheaper than having my local BMW dealer put in a new one.

Thanks all for the good advice!

Todd Robinson
'98 528iA

edjack

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Many here get advice, and never report back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> 5 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: