Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how reliable is the X3 & X5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
beemer driver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: how reliable is the X3 & X5? Reply with quote

hi everyone, i usually post in the E30 section of this site - for my '87 3 series car. but my wife is going to need a replacement for her high mileage accord soon and i was thinking maybe we'd get a used X3 or X5 as we both like them. i was hoping for some input here on how well they hold up. my questions really are, are they pretty solid and reliable? what about cost to maintain? are there any major (as in expensive) issues certain years or models have? all input and advice is greatly appreciated. thanks a lot.

See all UnofficialBMW Ads
Vladimir_Jabotinsky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reliable Reply with quote

Don't get anything that's out of warranty period. It's a stress on your wallet to keep it up, not to mention the hassle of getting it serviced and repaired.

BMW Cleveland/Solon is the worst auto repair operation I've seen for any brands. They act like they are doing me a favor for fixing my BMW under warranty.
Mopho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great thing about buying an X3 or X5 used out of warranty is......

Drum roll please..............

MUCH less expensive. (I would say cheaper, but that sounds cheasey......)

If you can do your own maintence like me, you are much better off than paying TWICE as much for one that is still under warranty...
We just looked at a 2007 X3 with 31,000 miles that is absolutly immaculate, Alpine White with all bells and wistles (except it doesn't have the Navi) for $28,000+ tax, license, etc.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/ctd/1256357067.html

So, the warranty and free maintainence is up in a year and a half on this X3.

That means (since BMW recommends 15K between oil changes and service) I would get one oil change.
Wooopeee.
I can do that myself for 30 bucks, and buy an older one for HALF price (I found a 2004 with 50 K on it) for 14,000
It's really up to you.
BMW is not known for inexpensive repairs.

But I have had several that I maintained myself (similar to your 325, only an '84 and a '88 325 coupes) and my wife's '03 325ci Sport coupe (we bought for 14K last December with 41K on it) including changing timing belts, etc. and they are no more expensive than driving a Ford or Chevy.
Forget about Chyrsler products. Yuck.

'96 318 ti for 3 grand...smashed left rear, oil leaks from valve cover gasket, oil filter housing, etc. etc. I fixed the oil leaks... I love it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> X Cars Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: