Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting M3 wheels on a 328i

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
faridahmed

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Putting M3 wheels on a 328i Reply with quote

I have an early model E46 328i SE (1998) with 225/50R16 tyres all round. This slightly unusual size does limit my choice of good tyres, plus the relatively tall sidewall does give rather a lot of flex.

A friend had M3 wheels put on his E46 320i and found the handling dramatically improved, so this got me thinking: could I do the same on my 328i? I've seen some secondhand genuine 18" M3 wheels (225 front and 255 rears) at a good price, so could I simply put these onto my 328i without further modifications, and would they fit within the wheel arches too?

Any information and insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ddupy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when you do this. You need to find out what the offset is on your current rims. Then find out what the offset is on the M3 rims. If you have too much offset one direction, you may have problems with the tyres rubbing either on the inner fender liner when the wheel is turned all the way one direction, or on the fender well when compressed. Also the offset is different on the rear rims versus the front on M3 wheels. Don't get those mixed up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: