Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index Unofficialbmw.com
The UnofficialBMW BB, answers for your BMW questions.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

drain holes in soft top stowage area - how do you unblock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum

Support Unofficialbmw.com :: Download Free Healthy Habits iPhone app!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: drain holes in soft top stowage area - how do you unblock Reply with quote

Folks, I am new to all this soft top stuff - I have an E46 (3 series 2001) soft top and today I found 6 inches of water in the boot( trunk) area - I traced it back to the are where the soft top gets stowed was full of water in the wells near the left hand roof hinge assembly - After vacuuming out the water I poured in fresh and it did not drain away - so am guessing that the drain holes are blocked -
how on earth do you unblock them? You can't see them and fishing about with a piece of piano wire did not find the aperture - has anyone any idea how to get these hidden hole unblocked?
or does any one have a schematic diargram of the pipework that I could try to work it out for myself from the plans.
thanks in advice.
DerekM

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: any updates from folks Reply with quote

hi folks - has anyone got anything on this subject that could help - i really do not want to give my local dealer the satisfaction of charging me a small fortune for clearing a pipe with some piano wire - thanks for the help in advance
DerekM

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: update on investigations Reply with quote

so, I have now spent best part of a day looking for the exit point from the softtop boot area - this included taking most of the interior panelling away, only to be confronted by yest another metal bulkhead-

So folks, is the only option is to remove the whole soft top mechanism and metal foot plate? surely BMW did not design such a terrible design in all this? Anybody found or got a set of technical specification diagrams that I can pour over?? - thanks
SSearch

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For drain holes like these I usually use a gentle blast of compressed air to clear them out. It's usually safe to assume that they have a hose attached to them and they exit 'somewhere' under the car. I've also learned the hard way - do this in the driveway - or better yet your neighbors driveway - sometimes the stuff that comes out of them can be pretty nasty...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Unofficialbmw.com Forum Index -> E46 - 3 Series Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: